Thai dubbing

khunsanuk

Hi,

Why is Thai dubbing of TV so atrociously bad? I've seen plenty of TV dubbed in German and while it isn't as good as watching it in the original language, it is certainly watchable.

On Thai TV I get the impression though that the people doing the voice overs try their best to make different voices. The result is that they sound like morons.

It is especially bad with cartoons, but pretty much any TV programme that gets dubbed suffers from the same crap.

Why is it so difficult to at least try to match the voice of the voice over with the character? It is very common to have a woman in her 20s do the voice of a woman in her 70s; and that just sounds very odd.

All children's voices are always done by women as well and that too sounds silly.

Sorry for the rant, but having just endured another 2 hours of bad Thai dubbing I am rather annoyed with it and had to get this off my chest.

Sanuk!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai dubbing mow is no better than it was 30 plus years ago, which tells me they just don't give a damn! I can't stand to watch films or shows dubbed into Thai. There seem to be a total of about half a dozen voices, so everything sounds like a cartoon. Plus the dubbers take liberties with the dialogue.

Yet every year the Thai film dubbers give themselves fancy awards as if they've done something wonderful. The whole lot of them need to be taken outdoors and had the crap beaten out of them! They could easily do 1000% better, but that might actually involve work.

:(

Archived