Thai dubbing

khunsanuk

in earlier movies, Thais change only the language dubbing and the backsound they blind out. This was horrible. Today i think it is better but still poor. I think they use always same voice actors. I think the whole poor dubbing has something to do with the costs for dubbing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"in earlier movies, Thais change only the language dubbing and the backsound they blind out."

They still do this for most TV shows and soaps.

Sanuk!

yes, now i remember the bad dubbing Korean soaps :crazy:

In the other way i saw two Thai movies with German dubbing. The dubbing was good BUT the Germans tried to speak phrases in Thai - this was also a shock to me :eek: and my wife got sick about it :fever:

Hi,

Why is Thai dubbing of TV so atrociously bad? I've seen plenty of TV dubbed in German and while it isn't as good as watching it in the original language, it is certainly watchable.

On Thai TV I get the impression though that the people doing the voice overs try their best to make different voices. The result is that they sound like morons.

It is especially bad with cartoons, but pretty much any TV programme that gets dubbed suffers from the same crap.

Why is it so difficult to at least try to match the voice of the voice over with the character? It is very common to have a woman in her 20s do the voice of a woman in her 70s; and that just sounds very odd.

All children's voices are always done by women as well and that too sounds silly.

Sorry for the rant, but having just endured another 2 hours of bad Thai dubbing I am rather annoyed with it and had to get this off my chest.

Sanuk!

First off, let me say I am totally with you on this, I HATE the 2-3 people of each gender who do ALL the Thai dubbing...

however, as for the "doing different voices" thing, I gotta say, sometimes it is effective, albeit in a non-intentional way: on one of the Rush Hour movies, the guy did such a great job of making Chris Rock sound stupid, fingernails-on-chalkboard annoying and buffoonish, I have to say he totally captured the essence of the original English dialogue, haha...

preahko

Similarly,selecting "English" as the language of choice on DVD movies is also frequently so bad it's either humourous or annoying.

I don't know if that "work" is done in Thailand or elsewhere in Asia..........but the results are the same.

Amazingly bad, sloppy, unchecked and incompetant.

Growl!!!

Archived