Manhattan Hotel Suk Soi 15

rickfarang

Guest friendly, pretty good breakfast buffet, the most personable staff in Bangkok. Only 20 meters from Sukhumvit. A short walk to Asoke Skytrain and Sukhumivt subway stations. About midway between Soi Cowboy and Soi Nana. And ideal location in a clean room with good service at a very reasonable price.

This is the place to stay if you want to feel at home but don't want to pay a high price for it. Recently, I paid US$36/night, though in some seasons, you can get is for $32/night (1000 Baht). Sometimes its less. If you book a double, you can bring a friend to spend the night at no extra cost. Breakfast buffet is included in the room price.

Room service is available.

The laundry service is reasonable priced and has a 10 hour turn-around at the regular price. For 2X the regular price, they can do it in 4 hours.

There is a minibar, and the prices are reasonable.

Although it is HIGHLY PREDICTABLE (always the same dishes for more than 10 years I have been staying there), the breakfast buffet is entirely satisfactory, with Thai, American, Japanese, and Korean sections.

Rooms are available with two single beds or a large double bed. There are some rooms designed for Japanese guests, which are much nicer in ever respect, so you might want to request a "Japanese room" even if you aren't Japanese. Every room is clean and tidy.

The staff will most likely learn your name and your room number on the first day. They are willing to help you make your stay as comfortable as possible. I should know -I am a very fussy and difficult customer.

The rooms have a clean bathroom, clean and properly made bed, clean carpeting throughout, and balckout drapes (important for us late sleepers.) Shampoo and body wash are on the bathroom counter.There is a little clothesline to hang up yoru hand washing. Most, if not all rooms, have a telephone next to the toilet (why anybody would want to have a conversation in the bathroom is beyond me!). Mattresses are turned regularly and replaced as needed (never had a worn out mattress here.).

The only problem with the Manhattan is that their rooms are in high demand, and you need to book well in advance in order to get a room.

Here is where I usually book:

http://www.asiantrails.net/

If these guys say there are no rooms available, its probably just because they ran out of their allotment of cheap rooms. You might want to contact the hotel directly (though at a higher price.)

Their website is:

http://www.hotelmanhattan.com/

(You can also call them on the telephone at the number listed at the end of this post. The employees are pretty fluent in English.

Reservations can also be made via sites such as http://www.latestays.com/manhattan/

This is my home away from home when in Bangkok.

Manhattan Hotel

13 Soi 15 Sukhumvit Road,

Phrakanong, Bangkok 10110,

Thailand

Telephone 662-255 0166

Fax 662-255 3481

Thanks for the very informative review. I have considered this as my second choice for many years, but never stayed there. There was mention of construction going on in the neighborhood for a long time, so I avoided it. I like to sleep late.

BTW, the website is now showing 2200 baht. IMO, over-priced at that rate.

HH

The construction of the hotel next to the Manhattan (or behind it) is still going on, but noise from it has not been a problem for the last couple of years.

Last November, I noticed some noise from the construction across the street.

I don't book directly with the hotel unless in desperation because I can get a much better price from booking companies.

• 1 month later...

I payed 2,400 baht as a walk-in rate last march and I thought that was the rip off rate. I guess the personel didn't rip me off but simply did their job. Lying in the bed, I woke up because I had a cockroach crawling over my face. All in all not so pleasant an experience. :shifty:

Archived