Dynasty Inn Grande, Bangkok

SpiceMan

Not to be confused with the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4, the Dynasty Grande is a good 4 star hotel on Soi 6. The hotel is well located on this quiet Soi, 4 minutes from Nana Plaza and 200 meters from Sukhumvit road and the Nana sky train station (BTS). Check in is quick and friendly and you will be served a welcome drink and given your key card.

The rooms are in 2 blocks, either side of the pool. The back block has Deluxe rooms for 2680 baht while the front block has Grande Deluxe rooms for 2880. The rooms are very spacious, modern, clean and have a King sized bed, a sofa, a coffee table, tea and coffee making facilities, a desk with an Ethernet LAN port for your laptop and a 29â? TV with DVD player. There is a well stocked mini-bar and complimentary drinking water. There is a safety box big enough for a laptop. The room walls are white making for a nice bright room. This contrasts with the dark wood panelling of the Dynasty Inns in Soi 4 and Pattaya.

The bathrooms are big and tiled with marble. There is a separate bath and large walk in shower with high water pressure. In some rooms the shower is in a transparent cubicle, in other rooms the shower is not enclosed so you can party with your ladies du jour. The toilet does not have a spray hose.

There is a large pool on the third floor with sun beds and towels. You can order drinks from a pool side phone or from the towel boy, when he is there. The pool is overshadowed by the two tower blocks and a very tall block of condos, making the water cold in December. There is a large gym on the second floor with a full range of cardio equipment and strength training machines. There is also a range of free weights from 2kg (5 lbs) to 30 kg (65 lbs). Free water is available from bottles in the gymâ??s fridge.

The hotel has one restaurant, Bloom Café, which is open 24/7. It serves a range of Thai and western food at reasonable prices.

The web site is here http://www.dynastygrande.com/index.html

Picture%20082.jpg

Picture%20042.jpg

Picture%20037.jpg

• 4 years later...

I've done this one a couple times, usually because I was in the neighborhood and suspected they were likely to have decent rooms at a reasonable rate. And they do. The rooms are not bad -- they just aren't that good, either. Every room in the front section feels a bit like an empty tube with a bed and some other furniture stuck up against the walls, it's something of a slapped together affair. Walls are relatively thin, bathrooms are big but without any endearing touches - not sure exactly what those would be, but that was my overall impression. Clean, yes. Friendly staff, yes. Patient with my usual visitors, yes. And usually have decent priced rooms available. Special? No. But ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done this one a couple times, usually because I was in the neighborhood and suspected they were likely to have decent rooms at a reasonable rate. And they do. The rooms are not bad -- they just aren't that good, either. Every room in the front section feels a bit like an empty tube with a bed and some other furniture stuck up against the walls, it's something of a slapped together affair. Walls are relatively thin, bathrooms are big but without any endearing touches - not sure exactly what those would be, but that was my overall impression. Clean, yes. Friendly staff, yes. Patient with my usual visitors, yes. And usually have decent priced rooms available. Special? No. But ok.

I've got a special soft spot for this hotel. In 2006 I stayed there on a monthly basis several times. Whilst I don't stay there exclusively, I do still come back there a few times a year. When I do there is a feeling of coming home and the staff always remember me with sincere friendliness. I once managed to check out whilst leaving several bottles of expensive duty free scotch in the back of a cupboard somewhere - the next time I checked in they presented me with them again. There is a warmth and friendliness there that I haven't really found elsewhere in Bkk. There are numerous examples of this - my girlfriend left a bag in the foyer when she realised we were just checking in for a flight to Singapore - their chauffeur immediately came with the bag to the airport. The owner came and visited me one day to say hello. Lot's of things like that. I don't know about you - but to me that makes the place special.

The gym and pool are excellent.

Yes the walls are thin unfortunately - I always book a corner room on the Eastern side where the bathroom wall is made from those glass bricks and lights up the room sunny and bright in the morning.

Archived