No more happy pizza?

More signs of "progress." Bastards. :banghead: :onfire: I'm sure George Bush must be behind this... :clown:

[color:purple]Phnom Penh - Changing times and politics in South-East Asia may finally spell extinction for one of the most famous (or infamous) fusion cuisines enjoyed by backpackers, Cambodia's "happy pizza."Legendary amongst travelers for more than a decade, this hippy's little helper version of pizza is simply the traditional Italian favourite with a Cambodian twist - the rich tomato base comes heavily laced with marijuana.

Although officially illegal for several years, locals have traditionally used marijuana in soups or medicinally. Pioneering travelers crossing the Lao-Cambodian border previously even reported a small garden of the stuff being lovingly tended by customs officials.

And then foreign inspiration transformed the drug into arguably the world's most talked-about pizza topping. Dozens of happy pizza parlours sprang up around the country as backpack tourism boomed.

But now the Cambodian government's current battle against drugs has given "pizza wars" a whole new meaning.

This week marijuana was claimed as Cambodia's first "total victory" in eliminating a drug from both domestic and export markets by Interior Ministry anti-drug chief, Police General Lou Ramin.[/color]

More at the link

Regards,

SD -- a little happy pizza never hurt anyone despite the outrageous claims in the article!

..."The government goal is that this drug does not exist any more in Cambodia," says Police General Lou Ramin. "We will only be satisfied when it is not available at all."

Sure...and that will happen whenever the police and involved gov't officials decide that they have enough money and don't need additional income from the weed producers and distributors!

Maybe weed will again go underground, as it did in 2000 or 2001, when the Japanese demanded it be eliminated before they would continue funding the building of a bridge. It did go 'underground'. The bars no longer had a bowl atop the bar, filled with weed and free for their patrons. The bowl and weed 'disappeared'...the bowl was placed out of sight, under the bartop, and patrons had to know to ask for the bowl.

I went to Cambodia first in 2001 and 2002. Went back last year. Boy, has it changed for the worse.

Money has obviously been poured into NGOs with the result that Phnom Penh has been feminised/pussified into a NGO's dream. Loads of them are driving around in huge 4x4s and spending their funding in new dainty shops. 2001/2 I was seeing Happy Pizza. 2007? Fucking 'Biscuit Boutiques'. I'm not joking! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Things are so toned down that motodop drivers don't even push girls on you anymore. Posters depicting foreigners as child molesters abound. I didn't see any 'happy pizzas' openly advertised as I did 6 years ago. It's fucked up. :thumbdown:

[color:gray]Massive plantations which once required helicopter airlifts to clear them have been wiped out, he said, leaving the government free to concentrate on the increasingly prevalent evils of heroin, cocaine and synthetic drugs such as methamphetamines.[/color]

Hmm, let me try and work out the logic in this, opiates have fewer users and are a lot more addictive / damaging than Gamja so lets clampdown on the weed. IMHO (and experiences) this will only force some of the current happy tokers onto methamphetamines.

Un-fuckin-beleivable, Asian Logic Personified.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Sihanouk Ville last week and happy pizzas and happy shakes are available all over the place, particularly the beach shacks.

Those posters depicting westerners as child molesters are a great way of ruining Cambodia's tourist industry without doing a thing to address the real problem of Cambodian and Asian child molesters. NGOs and charities are just holding Cambodia back. Fortunately I didn't see many of those posters in Sihanouk Ville, just on the back of that crappy tourist guide.

• 8 months later...

"Un-fuckin-beleivable, Asian Logic Personified."

Identical logic in place in the United States policies on drugs, specifically marijuana.

I was always most disappointed with the yardy, seedy uncultivated 'ditch weed' found throughout Phnom Penh. It was always spoken about in the movies as a region that produces great smoke. I was never that impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived