First Draft of History Looks a Bit Rough on Bush

Flashermac

I do frequently leave the USA and I do frequently talk to Euros...usually drunken punter euros who like myself are looking for whores and good times, but that doesn't mean their/our opinions are any less valid. But I digress, yes, Many Euros do indeed hate bush and like many Americans, also think he "sucks balls."

"...You Americans have despised the French for years and because they now have a conservative president all is forgiven right..."

No, many of us still dislike the French for other reasons, just as they disliked us long before Bush came along. In fact, the idea that France is now led by a conservative fuck wit is more reason to dislike them. The fact that they were liberal, had a shorter work week, more holiday time off, and know how to through a strike when it matters was reason to actually like them.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some might have noticed I post here only when I object to something that I feel should not be left uncommented on a site that has as many readers as this one. This is not to mean disrespect to any of the posters and even less any assumption of knowing better then others! Rather attempts to restore balance in a forum which easily gets biased in one direction or the other. But it has been quite a lot, and admittedly too much, recently.

However, one more thing because all these emotional ejaculations (!) in political matters are cases in point. How is it possible to dislike such an extremely complex entity as a country and it's people? Imagine over 250 million American INDIVIDUALS and over 50 million French INDIVIDUALS, each of them unique, many of them remarkable people!

And especially for you European America-bashers, including the monomaniac Bush-haters (yes, he's not so good, we know that already, but he is not a monster): in relations with other countries a cool headed approach based on mutual interests is always better than emotionalism. After all there is a reason why there is such a thing as diplomacy in this world!

What is in the best interest for Europe in view of the great challenges that menacingly lie ahead of us? A minimum of reflection would certainly suggest a stronger and not a weaker trans-Atlantic link, wether it is with a Bush-administration or (better) it's successors, not a high-nosed and totally unrealistic European attitude of self righteousness. How can Europe, which doesn't even know its own borders (Roger Cohen, IHT) project any global leadership that could even partially take over America's role?

This does not mean the whole sale adaptation of Americanism, of American pop(non) culture, which is a strange paradox among the America-bashing European youth. In fact this is one thing I don't like about President Sarkozy, his (alleged) indifference to the glory of French culture and preference for en vogue americanized pop (non)culture, article about this today in IHT.

I dislike Americanism as much as I love America.

Over and over we hear one political party blame the other for not being able to get things done. During part of Bush's reign the republicans finally had the perfect situation: control of the house, senate, and the presidency. What did Bush and his party get done? And what the heck happened to the old "Contract With America"? Instead Bush gave us one lasting legacy: fear. Scare people with cherry picked, falsified, and unreliable information (remember WMD). Scare people into the need to fighting useless wars that bankrupt America because our safety "depends on it" meanwhile we forget we have bridges that need repaired and people are dying. Scare people of terrorists to justify taking away the rights and freedoms of Americans.

And for expats, you probably know the big one. There was a time Americans used to carry a good deal of respect around the globe. Now Americans are more likely assumed to be Bush extremists, disliked for it, and are the prime terrorist targets.

While there can be no serious disagreement by thoughtful people on the disastrous Bush administration, my feelings about Reagen are far more mixed.

I do believe his last years were under the influence of his illness, and that his might be (until now) the administration whose efforts have caused the most damage to America after he left office (no doubt the first Bush presidency suffered from Reaganomics and other foibles)

But beyond all that, and what makes his terms in office rise far above the current clod is that, as I remember it, most people...especially in his first term, felt very positive about being an American in those years. After watching the Iranians take our people hostage...we were strong again. It was "morning in America"

And even though the nasty seeds were being planted about homophobia and other sad efforts, things just seemed a little brighter for awhile. Whereas today, it's just a sinkhole where even the most patriotic Americans realize that Bush has turned us into the bad guys...guys who torture and are despised by the rest of the world.

And for expats, you probably know the big one. There was a time Americans used to carry a good deal of respect around the globe. Now...

I've been hearing this here and abroad for thirty years. I suspect it has been said for the last two hundred. Grow a pair, already.

Whereas today, it's just a sinkhole where even the most patriotic Americans realize that Bush has turned us into the bad guys...guys who torture and are despised by the rest of the world.

Leftists tell themselves and America that this is the case, but I believe that the left has changed far more in the last 28 years than has America overall. This November America will likely choose between McCain and Obama, between the America of those who loved Reagan and that of those who hate Bush. I expect Barry's gonna get a whippin'.

Archived