No more Thai "O-A" One Year Visa?

cavanami

This is a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa not a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa as the OP apparently thought.

And yes, Multiple Entry O Visas are becoming much more difficult to obtain in the USA than in previous years. And O-A Visas that used to be available at many of the Honorary Consulates in the US are now limited in availability to the Embassy and Consulates - along with just a few of the Honorary Consulates.

The O-A is for retirement and is available only in the applicant's home country or country of residence. The requirements are somewhat different than those for obtaining an extension of stay for the purpose of retirement here in Thailand.

-redwood

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding from reading the posts on Thaivisa.com that I I need to show up every three months at Immigration, that's all. Not leave the country. And because of it being multi entry, I don't have to apply for a re-entry visa when I leave the country.

BUT, although I am told I can renew it after a year in Thailand, the next year I will have to apply for a re-entry visa every time before I leave the country. WHY is a mystery.

The Multiple Entry O-A visa allows a stay of 365 days upon entry into Thailand. And because it is a multi entry each time you leave and re-enter Thailand you receive an new 365 days. This is consistent with being granted a new 90 days with a multiple entry O Visa on each new entry. And as with the multi O where you can stay in Thailand almost 15 months, with the Multi O-A you can get almost 2 years :) That is if your admit until date is say, 15 March 2009, and if you fly to Singapore and re-enter Thailand on 10 March you'll get an admitted until date of 10 March 2010.

However, after the original admit until date of 15 March 2009 you have to have a re-entry permit to keep your admit until date alive and you'll be stamped in with the same admit until date of 10 March 2010 each time you re-enter Thailand. Just prior to 10 March 2010 you'll go to Immigration and apply for an extension of stay for a new 365 days.

-redwood

Beats me, I saw a guy in town last week who said they're not counting the days on visa exemptions anymore.

Personally, when my non-Im B runs out in June I'll do a few Visa runs just to sniff the air.

Wouldn't mind a trip to Vientiane for a tourist visa anyway. (Apart from using two full pages on the fecking passport!)

Archived