No more Thai "O-A" One Year Visa?

cavanami

Going back to what Cent said a little earlier in this topic about the difference of stepping out every 90 days or renewing visa in country so only having the need to report. I think one of the benefits of renewing in country is that it is an extension and after 3 years of that you can apply for PR but not so if you do it outside.

I have never done a 90 day thing as I always end up going somewhere in less than 90 days. Really need to get down to doing my PR.

But then I'm just a fool.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red13>after the original admit until date of 15 March 2009 you have to have a re-entry permit to keep your admit until date alive<

So where do you apply for the re-entry permit, and when?

At your local immigration office, or at the border on the way out? Or on the way back in?

re-entry is before you leave - can be at airport/imigration whereever.

It takes about 30 - 60 minutes so allow time and get a MULTIPLE re-entry permit.

If you have a 1 year visa to stay up to one year you need a re-entry permit now.

Otherwise when you leave the country without the re-entry the visa stops being valid :(

Speaking of reporting, I went over last week and got a mild shock. All of the smiling female sergeants were gone and there were only male policemen on duty. Oh, well.

But there was also a notice about "improving" the 90-day reporting service. It is all run through the computer now. Took the sergeant maybe 10 minutes to type me up. That means the guys who aren't bothering to report are likely to get hit next time they renew their visa or try to leave the country. (I think the maximum fine is 5,000 baht.)

Also, the computer printed form says I have to report in 90 days. Leaves it to me to figure out what date that actually is.

SD,

Exactly. If done (getting the O visa) out of Thailand the first year you will need to step out every 90 days. Once the year is up and you renew your O visa inside Thailand then you can just report to the Immi guys every 90 days. I do not renew in Thailand but do this once a year in the states when I return each year. Why? Less hoops to jump through to get the visa renewal in country I feel. Very easy and cheap to do with no real disadvantages except the silly 90 day step out policy. Still, why for the first year do they feel it is necessary for you to step out each 90 days, then after that year if you renew in the LOS you don't have to? It makes no logical sense to me. But then, TIT.

Cent, you did not have to wait a year to apply for the extension. You could have applied during you first 90 day entry. All you would have had to is show you had 800k in Thai bank for 3 months before. You do not have leave the 800k in the bank for the whole year. You are expected to live off of it and just top it up before making application for extension next year. You can also sign a statement that you have 65k baht income and have it notarized by the Embassy (you do not have to prove it to the embassy) to get an extension.

There is a lot of mixed up information in this thread. Maybe this will clarify things a bit.

Nomenclature for types of visa and permissions to stay for Thailand (courtesy of Thai Visa).

The basic entry/visa types of interest to most readers are listed below. For full information you may want to read the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website

Initially, we will attempt to explain the differences between visas and â??permission to stayâ?? stamps. These are often confused.

A visa is fundamentally a document (affixed into the passport) issued to a foreigner by the Thai government allowing said foreigner to travel to the Kingdom and normally be granted permission to stay for a prescribed period. Visas can only be obtained outside of the Kingdom from a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate (usually). A visa has a validity period which denotes the period within which the visa may be used to apply for entry. The validity period is NOT the length of time you will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom using said visa.

A â??permission to stayâ?? stamp is entered into your passport upon arrival into the Kingdom. Whatever visa you hold, you will always receive this stamp. It will include the date of entry and date when you MUST leave the Kingdom or make alternative arrangements. The â??length of stayâ?? will be dependent on what type of visa one holds. Once inside the Kingdom, this stamp is sacrosanct, your visa is now effectively irrelevant until you re-enter the country.

30 day entry stamp : for the majority of passport holders, this is a 'permission to stay 30 days' stamp only obtained (free of charge) at a port of entry into the Kingdom and is issued without the need for a visa. At the discretion of the immigration officer this may be extended for up to 7-15 days at an immigration office after which time the holder must leave the Kingdom. This is NOT a visa.

3 month validity, single entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry. If required, this type of visa may be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. After one entry, the visa is â??usedâ?Â.

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is â??usedâ?Â.

3 month validity, single entry non-immigrant visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 90 day 'permission to stay' stamp. This visa can be extended up to one year for specific reasons and with the required documentation (see 12 month extensions).

12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate (usually) in your home country and will result in the holder obtaining a 90 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry. Each time the holder enters the Kingdom whilst the visa is valid, he/she will obtain a further 90 day 'permission to stay stamp'. Such visas can be issued for students/work/family etc. but normally require supporting documentation. This visa can also be extended up to one year for specific reasons and with the required documentation (see 12 month extensions).

Note: a 12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa may also be obtained from some Royal Thai embassies outside your home country if you can provide evidence of your marriage to a Thai citizen (marriage certificate).

12 month extension to a non-immigrant visa: If you are holding a non-immigrant visa, you have the option of extending this by 12 months based on either retirement (50 years old or over) or support to a Thai citizen, work, education and such. This may only be accomplished at an immigration office inside the Kingdom and certain criteria have to be met. Such extensions consist of a stamp in your passport detailing â??issue dateâ? and â??permitted to stay untilâ? date.

Note 1: If you are residing in the Kingdom under an extension to a non-immigrant visa and wish to leave the Kingdom at any time, then you will need to obtain a â??re-entry permitâ? to avoid losing the extension and the subsequent need to re-apply (i.e. applying for a new non-immigrant visa and then extension of stay).

Note 2: If you are residing in the Kingdom under an extension to a non-immigrant visa it is a legal requirement that the holder reports current address to an immigration office using form TM.47 (in person or by registered mail) every 90 days. Re-entering the Kingdom is the equivalent of a 90 day report.

Note 3: If you are in possession of a valid tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp and qualify for extension of stay and plan on doing so, you may be permitted to change to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office inside Thailand. This change of 'status' has certain restrictions depending on your particular circumstances therefore you should check with an immigration officer first.

Indeed OP KKN, lots of confusion.

A 90 days non-Imm O visa is the basis to get extension within Thailand for retirement or marriage (supporting a Thai) avoiding the 90 days trips but requiring 90 days reporting which can be done by mail if you live outside Bangkok.

The O-A is a retirement visa obtained outside Thailand but Thai embassies in many countries refuse to issue them.

Archived