No more Thai "O-A" One Year Visa?

cavanami

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck. The Imm O married visa is the same. Every 90 days I have to step out, pay a grey to the friggin' Cambos, then step back over into Thailand and get stamped in. Silly as hell really, and the Thais are losing money requiring this silly shit. Why not just have to go to Thai Immi and get stamped every 90 days and the Thais get to keep the money. Stupid in my eyes. A loss of some good revenue for the country. Why give that up to the Khmers and the Lao? It's just a 3 month check on the visa holder and for a check on residence info really. Why have to go out of the country to do this?

Cent

Cent,

I've got he same visa and only have to show my face every 90 days at the local immigration offcie and get a 90 day renewal.

Once a year I need to renew the visa which involves lots of paperwork, but a bottle of Black does seem to speed things up. Paperwork still has to be completed though......

Mine is the same. I need to leave every 90 days, but obviously no issue for me.

The difference is whether the visa is issued inside Thailand (only need to report) or outside (only get a 90 day stamp upon entry).

Cheers,

SD

SD,

Exactly. If done (getting the O visa) out of Thailand the first year you will need to step out every 90 days. Once the year is up and you renew your O visa inside Thailand then you can just report to the Immi guys every 90 days. I do not renew in Thailand but do this once a year in the states when I return each year. Why? Less hoops to jump through to get the visa renewal in country I feel. Very easy and cheap to do with no real disadvantages except the silly 90 day step out policy. Still, why for the first year do they feel it is necessary for you to step out each 90 days, then after that year if you renew in the LOS you don't have to? It makes no logical sense to me. But then, TIT.

I'm puzzled? Don't know where you get that from? I used to have a 12 month multiple entry Non Imm O when I lived in Thailand (married to a Thai). And had to exit every 90 days. My brother has and has had for a number of years a Non Imm O-A retirement visa. Valid for a year not multiple entry and no need to leave. He renews it in Thailand every year and has to get a re-entry permit if he leaves Thailand. But his 12 months start again when he re-enters.

Simie.

>Exactly. If done (getting the O visa) out of Thailand the first year you will need to step out every 90 days. Once the year is up and you renew your O visa inside Thailand then you can just report to the Immi guys every 90 days.<

This seems rather confusing.

I was given a Multi entry O-A visa in NZ only a few weeks ago. I was given it because of retirement, being able to show enough income or capital in a bank (not even in LOS). It does not allow me to work in Thailand, but that's OK.

My understanding from reading the posts on Thaivisa.com that I I need to show up every three months at Immigration, that's all. Not leave the country. And because of it being multi entry, I don't have to apply for a re-entry visa when I leave the country.

BUT, although I am told I can renew it after a year in Thailand, the next year I will have to apply for a re-entry visa every time before I leave the country. WHY is a mystery.

Archived