Knoppix question

ALHOLK

Hi!

I have had a hd crash and am trying to salvage some files with the aid of Knoppix. The problem I have is that I can't manage to remount a 8 gig USB stick as rw. Originally it shows up with file type 'fuse' but I can't remount it with that file type. It will not mount as a ntfs file system even though that is what it's supposed to be. It will mount as usbfs but shows up with no space available.

Does anyone on the board with Knoppix/Linux experience know a solution to the problem.

ALHOLK

Its been long time since I tried to mount a USB flash drive in Linux but I remember it can be a challenge if you're not used to the commands.

Can you see the files you want to recover when you boot to Knoppix? The reason I ask is technically with a hard drive crash you wouldn't be able to see any files without sophisticated equipment.

A couple of other options:

1) if the hdd is not truly crashed remove it and connect it to another PC.

2) Download and burn a copy of UBCD4Win (assuming you're using Windows) it is more user friendly than Knoppix and has a bunch of great utilities. It boots into a Windows desktop environment.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I can see the directory entries but some of the files are corrupted. Ohter ones I can read. I have salvaged a few files to a 1 meg USB stick but I need to copy a couple of files bigger than that. I could always write a small program to do a binary split but I'm lazy.

The reason I'm trying Knoppix is that I have used UNIX for many years and am quite comfortable with it. I tried UBCD3.4 but didn't get it to work. I'll try the version you mentioned. Thanks again for the tip.

regards

ALHOLK

• 1 month later...

Archived