Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he actually said "live on/near Sukhumvit" - but maybe he should look "close" too Suk - also you can get apartment on suk for 20's - or 40k and share - near Suk - apt's in buildings full of girls for 5K a month

Gobbledonk, I'm sure Drogon meant well but I know from my own experience in the past thats its not too wise to get an apartment too close to the nightlife. Just far too easy to end up a pisss head?! :drunk: I used to have an apartment in soi 6 and just far too easy to pop out all the time for a few beers! or whatever takes your fancy :smirk:

I was far happier when we moved to soi 41.

Also other posters talk about a maids salary but if its just a small studio or 1 bedroom place you are after and your not going to be working whilst in Bangers? why on earth would you need a maid? A few minutes a day to do it yourself.

Simie.

Thanks Simie - I dont need a maid, and (initially at least), I'm pretty sure I could live without cable. A Chinese teacher from some years ago told me that she learnt English largely from watching kids programs, particularly cartoons - from what I've seen of Thai TV, that should work very nicely.

:clown: :grin:

Take your point re being too close to the nightlife - Im probably more concerned about how quickly I would burn through my money *after* that quick beer ....

When I first moved to Thailand as tempting to be near Suk was I made the decision to live far away and visit with mates occasionally.

Those who I knew then living on Suk have mostly gotten bored and moved on - living away you get to met more "normal" Thais and the place is still a interesting circus to visit once every month or so.

You DONT have to live on Suk - you can have as much if not more fun living a bit away from it.

You DONT have to live on Suk - you can have as much if not more fun living a bit away from it.

Granted, but its so central to everything incl non-Sanuk destinations. Skytrain at your doorstep, major shopping centres close by - folks in Oz cities pay a *lot* of money for that kind of convenience, but I can see how it could all wear you out in short order. The beauty of renting is that you arent stuck in the same place for years, so I dont see it as a life sentence even if its not to my liking after a month or two.

Other problem is that I dont know much about the rest of Bangkok - Sukhumvit Rd and environs are pretty much it for me. Hopefully, I can rectify this in the future.

Thanks,

Gobble

#40K will get you a great place with 2 spare rooms to rent out to fellow traveler's#

hhhmmm... really?? I'm currently looking for a decent central 3 to 4 BR apartment and everywhere I check is between 100 and 300K a month... already pay significantly more than 40K for the office (oversized for my needs but very pleasant). 3K a month for a full time maid? possible, but 3 times that amount through agencies. Slightly posh restaurants serving non thai food will cost 1000up, regulary 5000. Etc... still BKK is very good value, we sorta stopped over on our way to Hong Kong but doubt we will move there before a couple of years, as we won't be able to get such a comfortable lifestyle and business is possibly better over here.

Archived