Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

Have you tried Soi Sala Daeng, between Sathorn and Silom and also Sala Daeng Soi 2 going to Rama IV? You could try Narathiwas Soi 7 (connects to Suan Plu), several very nice new places, but I imagine taxis can be a problem. There are some townhouses down Narathiwas. There is a new Fraser Suites on Sathorn, not sure if they have more then just serviced apts.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KKN,

You sure targetted the issue properly. There's one building in Saladeang from the same develloper as Bahn Rajadamri, which is very nice, and we are on waiting list for the 3BR apartment, more convenient to us than Rajadamri. Asked Missus to go and check next week for other places in Saladaeng.

I did offer Bahn Suan Chan(sp ?) in Narathiwat soi 7 but gave up after checking the area at night, indeed because of the taxi drivers who literrally invade the area. I don't like much the townhouses, but it seems there are several more condos in the area we should look at. Any particular idea?

As of Fraser Suites on Sathorn, we're actually staying there. Furnishing in the serviced apartment is on the cheap side, especially in the bathroom, but we find it quite pleasant. As of the condos there, the only one we've checked wasn't a better the deal than the serviced apartment.

Several buildings are getting ready in this area, it should look quite good by the end of next year - but we would like to move a little earlier than that.

Just realised the place I meant is on Thanon Chan, actually checked a couple of nice condos in Narathiwat 7 but the access is too difficult for us, especially with a baby.

There's particulary one amazing condo in that soi, I forgot the name. The owner seems to be doing well in antics business, there are a bunch of old cars downstairs, including a couple of Rolls Royce and over 20 old motorbikes. The apartment is *very* nice, with huge chinese style dining and reception tables and lots of small objects that give the place a much more elaborate feeling than the other apartments we visited. Loved it really but one needs a car IMO to live there. Best place I visited in term of decoration, and if anyone is interested, the same owner has a very nice penthouse in Ascott Sathorn , with similarly stylish furnitures, but the master bedroom is a little small and he's aking 300k a month. Definetely worth a look though.

World night - no - definitely not for sale :) I asked myself!

I only stay in areas with easy access to both Tollway and either Sky or Sub Way.

Sathorn is not a easy place to get around - bad traffic - who cares if you have a merc 500s - pointless if it's stationary in same spot for 30 minutes then moves 10 meters!

Well, I guess we'll have to get an helicopter than.

It's amazing what length you will go to make a point which I can't quite figure out yet. Perhaps Phaya Thai is traffic jam free? I work near Fraser actually so that's pretty convenient for us, and there IS a tollway access directly on Sathorn FYI. It is quite far from many entertainment areas, but I find it also a sound idea to keep wife and children far away from daddy's playground, besides personnally finding inspiration when looking at the tall business towers which surround us.

Not looking to attract the Nana herds to Sathorn by any means, but thank you for your input. It wasn't far to be almost close to enlightning.

There is a condo just down Suan Plu Soi 6, not new, but looks fairly nice. Have you tried Sathorn Soi 1, behind the new Q House Lumpini? Several nice condos down it.

There are many nice places in the area, but you have to go around to find them, don't think most owners use agents as they can rent them by just word of mouth or walk ins.

I think a car is a necessity in Bangkok, it is just too spread out and the BTS/MRT are very limited in the areas they serve. If I need to take the BTS a taxi ride up Soi Convent is 40 baht and most of the time takes 5 mintutes. The best access to expressway in via Nang Linchi, this avoids both Sathorn and Rama IV. When Sathorn is locked at around 6, I am coming home from work the back way, so miss it completely. Having lived in the area for several years now, I donâ??t think the traffic is any worse then other areas of Bangkok (certainly not Sukhumvit) , and if you know the back sois and traffic patterns it is actually pretty easy to get around.

KKN

Couldn't agree more about the back Sois in the Rama III / Rama IV / Sathorn / Naratiwat area, once you know them it is very easy to avoid the traffic.

Nang Linchi (Portside to give it its correct title) expressway on/off Ramps are limited access / egress but it suits my journeys to/from work, if I want to head south over Rama IX bridge it is possable to get on at Eama IV entrance without hitting Rama IV, just get on Chua Plearng Road and there is the U-Turn straight to the tollgate.

As for Condo's in the area I noticed that some of the Apartments in "The Lofts" on Soi Yenekart are now occupied and I am sure that some of the units have been purchased to sublet rather than as a home.

Just to get this thread back on track...LOL :grinyes::neener::dunno::neener::grinyes:

Every time I plan a visit and calculate my expected cost of living (Suk area)...I never have a problem planning my Monthly budget.....

....Just sticking to it seems to be a tad difficult..... :cussing::banghead:

...Shit....sometimes it even lasts me 7 or 8 days....(provided of course, that none of the Buffalo are feeling "off colour"....or have the "Flu"....)

Cheers DC

Hi DS,

Mate, tell me about it. Not sure where it went, but 26K disappeared into various pockets over the last 3 nights. Other than some jeans and a couple of t-shirts, I have to shamefacedly admit that most of it has been alcohol-related : since they moved the freaking closing time to 2am for the Nana bars, I spend longer waiting for things to 'kick off' out on the Soi. Throw in a couple of ladydrinks and the check bin seems to have the contents of my wallet. Drank till sunup on Sunday morning - just seemed to happen after one of the girls challenged my manhood by saying she could match me beer for beer. Happy to report that when I caught up with her last night, she admitted feeling like crap for most of Sunday. Got to see the room she shares with another girl I've been known to enjoy, and it was truly scary. Two pathetic fans on the floor in a totally enclosed room (windows covered in cardboard so they can sleep during the day), mattresses that looked like they fell from the back of a truck and not a lot else. Cutest kid you ever saw waiing me when I came in, to amusement of doting parents - gave D. 400 baht for Isaan Welfare Fund, hopefully the kid will see some of that. Hard to see it up close and personal - how their slumlord can charge each of his tenants even 10 baht for those pathetic rooms amazes me, but the girls pay 2K a month. Makes the serviced apartments at places like Liberty look pretty damned appealing - I reckon I'd top myself if life ever got that basic. :(

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

Cheers,

Gobble

Archived