Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

I pay less than 10k a month including internet and I'm near Asoke. It's just a studio but fine for me. I think eventually I can get down to 30k once I'm more settled in but I just moved here and it looks like it'll be around 60k this first month.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dullnight then your looking at the wrong places - I posted that price as it's what a fellow board member paid just a month ago - so pricing is current - three bedrooms - about 200 sqm, swimming pool - 50 meters fro Suk between Asoke and Washington Sq.

Maids - 6000 a month not 3000 - that's a live in figure by the way.

You "Slightly Posh" prices seem to be a dig at our fellow board members who love their snob grub.

Hi ginseng,

Can you confirm that you are trying to maintain an overall budget of 30k for a month - rent,food, entertainment included ? While I agree that 120K seems high, 30K suddenly seems very cheap indeed. As someone mentioned, you only need the odd 2k night out and your budget starts to look shaky - Im disciplined when i have to be, but not quite that disciplined ...

Cheers,

Gobble

I think Ginseng has a good chance of making his 30k THB budget work.

He speaks and reads Thai well and enjoys doing things Thai-style. If one can stay out of the farang restaurants, the food section of oneâ??s budget can be quite modest even when living on Sukhumvit.

As heâ??s here on an education visa, much of his day will be taken up by classes and homework, which will help keep him out of bars. But without a doubt, the biggest threat to his budget will be nightlife.

<>

That also describes Aree/Fortune and a number of other areas.

I think you'll find the other apartments that you thought good for being close to Lumpini are in fact further away from anything of interest.

My first rule to house hunting in Bangkok

"Must be (easy) walking distance to either Skytrain or subway AND short distance to Tollway entrance"

This solves many traffic and transportation issues.

CTO, agree with you 100% for me anyway when looking for an apartment in Bangkok there are many things to consider but the most important for me is that its within walking distance of a BTS or MRT station. All the other considerations are secondary. Some people say get a motor bike taxi to the station, never use them myself and get annoyed at the wife when she does.

Simie.

KS, yes I take your point, but personally I dislike the motor bike taxis so much I prefer to either pay more for an apartment or cut back on quality/space a touch to be able to be near the BTS or MRT. Just my personal opinion others may prefer as you do to get a better or/and cheaper house or apartment and put up with the daily bike rides?

Simie.

Archived