Monthly cost of living (Sukhumvit) ?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

The bike rides don't bother me (used to ride myself back home), although it can be a pain in the rainy season.

Good thing is my boss is easy, so if it rains in the morning I just call him to let him know I'm either coming in late or working from home.

Sanuk!

Once you move away from the Suk area, you find very quickly that you really don't use the BTS/MRT very much as it doesn't go anywhere you need to go, except on a night out, then you end up using a taxi anyway...

Close to an expressway onramp is very important and area Mekong and I live fits that very well.

KS I am half with you on the Motorcycle Taxi's I will take them in the Soi's but not on main roads which sounds pretty much what you limut your use to, fortunatley I can get within 2-300 meters of BTS and MRS without hitting a major highway.

KKN, in defence of the OP our needs of Expressway access is something he is not concerned about at present, but admittedly when living and working in Thailand full time, home base in BKK and a car owner (or have driver) it makes one hell of a differance. I even use it to go to weekend market or KSR area.

KKN - many of the people I need to visit are on the BTS/MRT - so near there is important. Also office when not at home is at another station.

Wife has the car I rarely use it - hate driving in town.

Moto Taxis - definitely I avoid using on main roads but sometimes have too in order to make a eeting not near BTS/MRT.

In rain - I just about NEVER use them.

Hi ginseng,

Can you confirm that you are trying to maintain an overall budget of 30k for a month - rent,food, entertainment included ? While I agree that 120K seems high, 30K suddenly seems very cheap indeed. As someone mentioned, you only need the odd 2k night out and your budget starts to look shaky - Im disciplined when i have to be, but not quite that disciplined ...

Cheers,

Gobble

Yes I am targeting 30k a month. If it wasn't for the one time expenses like security deposits, buying furniture and dsl installation I think I would have been able to do it this month. As Jai said I'm decent at Thai which comes in handy when ordering food from vendors or trying to get "The Thai price" on various goods, also I am involved in learning Thai during the week which limits my fun time to mostly weekends. Even allowing myself some weekend fun I'm not heavy into the nightlife and almost never drink. I've hit the bars a few times but just to chat with the girls and during those times I drank Lemonade which actually tastes pretty damn good over here.

I'd say drinking and barfining are the things that will eat up your budget faster than anything. Today I've only spent 300 Baht which includes three meals and a BTS trip to Sala Daeng ;) But of course in life, you get what you pay for.

Guys, another factor in my decision will be proximity to whichever school I choose to learn Thai. OK, I wont need to go there every day, but why make it more difficult than it has to be - ideally, it would be great to be able to walk a few blocks and be there, but next best option is Skytrain, and I'd prefer a direct connection i.e. no changing trains at that station near Victory Monument (cant remember the name, but I needed to change to get back to Nana). I dont know much about the MRT, but I will spend some time tonight familiarising myself with it. Every city I've ever lived in here in Oz has had a train strike at some point, and I really cant imagine Bangkok's roads on the day that happens. Of course, I could just buy a cheap motorbike and ride down the footpaths - that's really 'going native', isnt it ? Might even get me extra credit in the 'Thai Culture' segment of the course I am considering.

:smirk:

....Suk soi 24: Liberty place, apartments for rent, basic bedroom, cable internet, airco, bathroom (some with a kitchen), quite basic but clean, secure and cheap: Between 8500 to 12K/month + electricity and water....

Drogon, Liberty Place is on Suk Soi 22. :thumbup:

Yes I am targeting 30k a month...Today I've only spent 300 Baht which includes three meals and a BTS trip to Sala Daeng ;) But of course in life, you get what you pay for.

"you get what you pay for" That's just it innit? I fail to understand why anyone, who did not have to, would want to live in a third world shithole and try to do it on the local wage. I'm not being snobbish or taking the piss. I genuinely cannot comprehend why. Can you enlighten me? It seriously makes no sense to me.

Cheers,

SD

Archived