Vietnam

Steve

I started a new job 3 weeks ago and they are setting up a tech office in Vietnam. I always thought India was where these places were, but I hear they are pricing themselves out of the market and Vietnam and other places are far cheaper.

Anyway, I am going to see if I can fanagle a job over there. I have made it known that I've 'spent time in Asia' and I met with the woman who is going to be over that. If I could make my present salary over there...hmmm...it would be interesting. hehehehe :smirk:

If I could make my present salary over there...hmmm...it would be interesting

Steve, I've never been to Vietnam, but I think it depends on where this job is - I believe that Saigon is actually an expensive city to live in, compared to other SE Asian cities anyway. Like LOS, I assume that this drops if you are prepared to go native. Found this on a website, and its probably true that any city is 'expensive' if you are living in a fully serviced apartment - just get your employer to agree to pay the rent as part of your package :content:

The cost of living in urban centers in Vietnam is similar to major cities elsewhere in the world with Saigon being quite expensive if one chooses to live in serviced apartments geared for the foreigner. It doesn't have to be so expensive as quality private homes are available for as little as $500 USD per month (not including utilities) or up to many thousands of dollars per month for giant mansion-like homes with an incredible array of amenities that would rival any 5 star luxury hotel

Been thinking about vietnam as a solution.

Unluckily:

- GD is right: If you want to retain your western lifestyle then you have to keep your western salary

(at least in the main cities)

- Most jobs accepting foreigners: Are rather low paid 1500-2000 USD/month

- This is true that many companies are choosing Vietnam rather than China or India.

http://www.vietnamworks.com

Wow, thanks. I'd like to live in an urban area I think as well. I'd ask for a raise then...lol...a nice 1 bedroom or possible 2 bedroom apartment with a/c, cable tv would be my minimum requirement. I'm not trying to live like a king, just comfortable.

It seems I'll need to do some research. I asked where the city was but the person didn't even know, it was that new or someone else was setting it up. I'll try and find out the cost of food which I would assume wouldn't be too much. I'm sure I'll rely on public transportation or cabs, etc. No way I'm driving. Maybe I'll have a motorbike or a bicycle depending on what I see.

I recall that any salary up to 80k is exempt from U.S. taxes in the states but have no idea what local tax rates are. More research. I'd also have to have access to all the Arsenal games. That's a must!

• 2 weeks later...

I like Vietnam, very underrated but be careful about some of the social mores when it comes to sanuk. I think they have laws about some aspects of this that we find mildly irritating. I recall a night out in Saigon with lots of fun girls all of whom made it clear that they would not go back to our nice hotel, not because they didn't want to but because they wouldn't be allowed in, guest friendly place it seems it's not, YMMV. Hanoi, fun town, some good clubs and fun girls, reasonable prices and easy to hook up with some long term gfe. Da Nang, did a road trip here, nice, sea front town, a little quiet, on the surface. Was introduced to some back street places by locals, don't you just love these local guys who care to share. Think we were the first white boys they had seen since the American war but clearly their mothers had taught them all about the round eyes. I was going to say we were nearly raped but on reflection I really don't think there was much in the way of nearly, it was pretty blatant! I like Vietnam. Sod the costs.

Archived