Friday Meetings

Pom Michael

KS,

With no disrespect to you, I think it is time to forget about any place that you can take your wife to every third or fourth year or so.

Last Friday night 9th May is the last meeting I'll even try to attend - I'm sure the same for DDave.

For the few Friday's that I'm in town, and in the mood to meet up with some guys - I'll just post and head to Sams2000 - that place was packed with guys (maybe from another board?) from 6:00 pm onwards, good food, easy to talk and enjoy the surroundings, etc...

Worthless to head somewhere else and no one shows up anyways.

Cheers :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really pissed off that no one showed up - more that we (collective we) are trying to support something that has provided good times in the past - but has lost something in the past year/years.

But really - when was the last time that your wife came out with you (I'm asking not to really know but to guage if the requirement to be out of the Soi is needed). Since I have not been going over the last few years, I did try to support this meeting when it switched to the Soi 23 area. But it isn't worth it anymore.

If no one (from Thai 360) shows up - it doesn't matter since there are plenty of people there anyways to talk to, watch the crowd flow in - etc... Meeting the "guys" would just be a bonus.

I think more people would go to Sam's I was the one who suggested Down Under given it was closer to cowboy but they (down Under) have raised prices by 20% and we only get a 10% discount instead of 20% originally promised - kinda sucks.

Sam's is a lot like Woodstock surely? In the heart of monger territory but just a restaurant.

Hi,

Not sure when she was there last. She was planning on joining last Friday, but something came up.

It doesn't really matter all that much, as I don't think I'd want to meet inside of one of the nightlife areas. And yes, I am aware Sam's 2000 is a normal restaurant.

I will grant you that something has changed and the meetings aren't what they used to be. Main thing is probably that a lot of the original crowd either isn't living in BKK anymore or has stopped going. Why they stopped going I do not know. Maybe you could tell us why you stopped going?

Frankly I think there are only a few people left who attend most meetings.

And as I said, I seriously doubt changing venues will really make that much of a difference. Although I will admit that the meetings have been more crowded lately (I guess you picked a bad night) and we usually end up getting about 6-8 guys attending.

So, yes, something has changed over the years and maybe we are trying to keep something together and failing, but how would moving to Sam's 2000 change any of that? If the problem is that something has changed, then no amount of changing venues will solve this.

Sanuk!

your prob right - the "crowds" we usually happen because a bunch of us plan to be out and ake a point of being at Down Under to meet first - then wonder off into the Soi or home.

I think the idea of Sam's 2000 is that as it is a place any people like to go to anyway - if they don't go to the meeting - the meeting finds them.

Kinda like old days when the ASFO and Nanaplaza meetings within walking distance of each other and merged after food.

Some of us can only get to the meeting a couple of times a year :)

If my opinion is worth anything, I dont think the casual visitor really cares where the meeting is, they either turn up or dont.

I try to support the meetings, but I have turned up before and no-one is there!

Hi,

"but I have turned up before and no-one is there!"

And I think this is the biggest problem. It would probably help a lot of people knew in advance who would show up. I know I'd like to know if it is worth going or not.

I guess we could have a roll-call thread every week, but I wonder how useful that would be.

Sanuk!

A roll call couldn't hurt!

But still I'm of the mind that I'll just hang around somewhere where I want to be, so if guys come or not it doesn't made a big difference.

I'm waiting for Drogon to arrive and all h*ll to break loose - hopefully Drogon, Wierd and Gobbledonk will all show up at the same time and we'll get some life back in The Big Mango!

Cheers!

Archived