Yet more village pix

persil

The house. I saw pics of "the house" about 15 years earlier. It was a bamboo shack then. This latest version was being added to since I first visited, this was the latest configuration, with the kitchen at the rear re-roofed and cladded, and at the front, the left side was added recently, new floor, new roof.

With the benefit of generous contributions from a visiting farang.

This Looks very much like our house at the markets...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PohMeh and latest grand daughter, a very charming one yr old.

Auntie and niece.

In the background the pick-up truck with the 'good luck banner across the top of the windshield. It didn't affect the short isan woman drivers, but completely obstructed my view when I drove.

Story on this site about that somewhere.

On my early visits, I noticed much of the cooking was done by the men, quite unlike to where I come from.

Brother, presenting the slaughtered remains of the live ducks he left with ten minuted earlier. This is about 6.30 pm, the night before an (aborted) wedding....

The groom had thought all the time that the pickup truck driven by Sis, belonged to her ( maybe she helped him in his delusion) Instead it belonged to her older sister, as he found out the night before the wedding. He tried to renegotiate the contract, she said NO, wedding off.

Next, I got suggested , since party ordered already, and monks coming early morning, maybe i do "friendship ceremony" with "auntie".

No Way"

OK. we do " renovated house ceremony"

In the end, at the Baci (string tying) ceremony, I ended up with most strings, and "auntie with an egg in her hand, symbolising fertility.

She turned to me said "married now?

Like hell.

Celebration.

I was invited to a memorial celebration in honour of the mother of a friend who died a year ago (the mother), kind of what we would call an unveiling maybe. I am not sure what the Thai name of the ceremony is, but it involves a 2-3 day party, alms being offered to a visiting group of monks, a 'model house' being constructed from wood and polystryrene, and lots of presents being brought by visitors. And of course lots of food and booze. They sure know how to party!

Sometimes, a strict segregation, the men eating separately from the women.

celebration (2)

Women putting together a tree of gifts probably to offer to the monks(?)

I wasn't there during the offering ceremony.

The children are always happy to be photographed. actually, it struck me that virtually everyone was quite relaxed about being photographed by this total stranger, who at the time spoke only about a dozen words of thai.

Archived