Yet more village pix

persil

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monks eating during 'wedding'

Meh and daughter nr 1 preparing food late one afternoon. That was my second visit, and I didn't understand why the roof had been removed from the kitchen, so they had to cook outside. Only later did I understand they were in the process of enlarging the house, and that took a while. two months later the kitchen was back in place

not entirely sure what camera, it was either a Sony Cybershot 505, or a smaller Sony rangefinder type Cybershot, but it was 2 megapixel. In retrospect, they didn't cope with contrast very well, and had high colour saturation. But at the time, it seemed like magic, because I could shoot, download straight away on my little laptop and show the people. They had never seen that rapid response photography before, and it taught me how that immediate response was very effective at gaining engagement from my subjects. Also, from the start I made sure that after each visit, the people would be sent prints within a few weeks, so next time I was even more welcome.

This entire lot was shot late 2001 early 2002.

I am publishing it only now because I had to first take some years distance from the events of those years. But more recently, I realize how important the photography I did in that time was for what I did in the years thereafter. It turned my life in a different direction, and in spite of the sometimes negative connotations for me with that period, this is the good that came out of it. I have since then done a lot more photography in Laos, and am really enjoying it. Very similar in a way.

Archived