A new record?

dean

I got back to Bangkok last Thursday night/Friday morning at around midnight from the U.S. I considered mailing several boxes back to LOS until the U.S. postal service told me a small box with 19 pounds in it would cost $104.00 to mail to LOS. I decided to borrow one suitcase from a family member and bring back four checked suitcases (three of them 29 inch expandable luggage with 70 pounds in each and one golf bag without the bag or clubs inside), one carry on bag with 50 pounds in it and one backback with 20-25 pounds in it. I was a little leerly about going though the "nothing to declare" line but they didn't even bat an eye when I pushed the cart through with me barely seeing over the top of it. I took the train to Chiang Mai and avoided shipping cost from BKK to CM. I did pay the airline $130 for two extra bags but that was a lot less than shipping boxes from the U.S. It waswn't too bad having to handle all the suitcases in Bangkok to the train station and, hopefully,I won't have to bring as much stuff anymore on future trips. I was just curious if anyone else has brought that many bags through Thai customs?

I did the 20 foot container about 18 months ago but just sent furniture and household goods and no electronic devises (mainly because I was concerned about the Thai duty on the container). As it turned out, I had to pay 118,00 Baht in custom duty, so I think that they have got their fair share of duty from me already.

I am here on a retirement visa but looked into getting a work visa but you really need to have an employer to get it (I import some Thai goods but that doesn't count as "work" I guess). If I were to send another 20 foot container from U.S., I would do it sevral years from now. In November, my Thai wife and and her 3 kids (subject to getting the permanent visa from U.S. in July) will be moving to U.S. for a couple of years, until her older kids are in college. Thais are allowed to send back one 20 foot container, as long as they have been out of the country for at least a year (or until the Thai legislature changes the law, which is probably more likely).

did you have a work permit as I've read a few times that foreigners with a work permit are entitled to ship once their belongings to Thailand free of duty, but actually wonder wether it will work smoothly?

i had a work permit at that time and everything went smoothly. probably the forwarder paid a couple of thousand baht undertable and this was included in the fees.

that's quite common when shipping goods in and out of thailand unless you have time to wait...

Thanks for the input, will try to figure out on next trip to Europe wether ship, sell, or give the furnitures we have( not many but mostly brand new designer goods, including a one of a kind 310cm working desk still in the cabinet maker workshop I would love to work on :( don't even know how to get the thing up to my office in BKK if we ship it all the way... I'm impressed with people who have several containers worth of belongings and keep on moving. Not quite the easiest task. Any idea of the the price of a door to door delivery, Europe to BKK, for a full container of belongings should be, all services included? I'm mostly hesitating because it's quite possible we leave Thailand in a year or two.

Archived