Do I wish to be a gik?

drogon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamui, I think your advice sounds great, but its still coming from someone who has been from A to B - I'm sure the prospect of living in a Thai area will seem a lot more palatable when I can at least handle day to day stuff - as I've said before, being able to read the language would make me feel a lot less like I am on Mars. Having assimilated into a culture as complex as Japan's, you must view my posts with disdain, but we all have our Everest, and learning Thai is currently mine. Hopefully, in a few months we will be able to laugh at my folly. :content:

Bust, I assure you that I am not trying to wind anyone up - apologies if thine eye offendeth thee. :smirk:

being able to read the language would make me feel a lot less like I am on Mars.

Ah, I am curious about that!

After 6 years here I am still fighting with the local alphabet. Driving somewhere and decrypting the panel announcing next town, I rarely make it before the panel disappears :rolleyes:

Wonder who can on this board?

why settle for second best?

"Second best"? You phoot len too much' date=' Khun fool. She wouldn't even be on the horizon as seen by sane men.

HH

[/quote']

55555 Indeed, but I can't help being charitable, both to the snake that's after the OP's green or the OP himself for that matter. I do recall a time when I might have had to ponder the possibilities of such a setup but then I hit puberty and reality kicked in.

Children should be nurtured :)

I'm sure the prospect of living in a Thai area will seem a lot more palatable when I can at least handle day to day stuff - as I've said before, being able to read the language would make me feel a lot less like I am on Mars.

IMHO learning the language is the central key. The more I learnt the more I understood the Japanese, since the language reflects how people perceive the world, how they define relationships (and the hierarchy of families and at work), what are the rules for public and private interaction. By the way I learnt a lot from watching local TV, especially the soaps taught me the 'rules of engagement' and how language is used in everyday life.

But I wonder what you mean with "day to day" stuff? Buying food, washing clothes, e.g.? Just take a BG for LT back to your apartment and she will figure this kind stuff out for you, if you don't feel being prepared to handle this.

It is great that you are about to do big jump, but your fears let you jump a little bit too short IMHO.

Do you want a prolonged sex tourist holiday and return to your previous life afterwards, or do you want to go ahead into something new and discover unclaimed territories?

Sorry, Drogon for hijacking your thread, but Drogon is just at the beginning, while you are - hopefully - at the end of our relationship. :cover::cool:

But I wonder what you mean with "day to day" stuff? Buying food, washing clothes, e.g.? Just take a BG for LT back to your apartment and she will figure this kind stuff out for you, if you don't feel being prepared to handle this.

Sounds like something I would do Kamui, but it seems to be the very thing that other board members are warning me against. When I say 'day to day', I think of some of the ethnic enclaves in Sydney and Melbourne, where we have folk who have been here for 30 plus years and know 3 words of English. They wouldnt be able to do the simplest things for themselves without their family and their ghetto, but that ghetto probably made a lot more sense when they first arrived. Lets take renting a condo - what the hell do if I am handed a document to sign and its all in Thai ? What about a run in with the cops for 'jaywalking' or whatever - do I just give him my wallet and consider that a win ? Conversely, I get into some kind of confrontation with a Thai - not on my list of happy moments, but conceivable - is my phrasebook Thai going to placate him ? I doubt it.

Like I said, its like Mars out there, but I take your point that there is no gain without some pain. Whether the provinces will prove to be any more forgiving is a question I wont be able to answer until I take a look at Khon Kaen.

Sounds like something I would do Kamui, but it seems to be the very thing that other board members are warning me against.

No, not warning you against the concept, just warning you about your choice of companions. IME no good comes from lower Sukh freelancers -- the majority of problems I hear about involve them. That doesn't mean they are all bad, just a higher percentage are.

Cheers,

SD

SD,

I actually have the BG 'N' in mind for the guide/translator role : if she falls (leaps ?) off the pedestal, then so be it. I'm not going to sign anything in Thai, regardless of the translation I am given - I just dont believe that is ethical - and the other scenarios will just have to play out.

Thanks again,

Gobble

SD,

I actually have the BG 'N' in mind for the guide/translator role : if she falls (leaps ?) off the pedestal, then so be it. I'm not going to sign anything in Thai, regardless of the translation I am given - I just dont believe that is ethical - and the other scenarios will just have to play out.

Thanks again,

Gobble

I understand your concerns concerning signing contracts, but how many do you need to sign after your arrival. For this would ask other board members for help. As others said, living in Thai area is cheaper, therefore even asking a professional for is probably much cheaper that paying Farang prices in the Suk area.

Archived