Do I wish to be a gik?

drogon

Hi Kamui,

My main concern is any lease/rental agreement I need to sign for a condo. Reading some of the posts on another board, it would seem that one is better off renting a house than an apartment in Khon Kaen (same price, bigger place), but I'll make that decision after I have seen the town - whatever I rent, I expect that there will be a legal document which I need to sign, indicating my willingness to stay for X months at an agreed amount of X baht per month.

As you say, even if I have to find someone who charges to translate a document into English, it will still be much cheaper.

Thanks,

Gobble

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why exactly are you considering living in Khon Kaen? Not much to see or do in the area, (although they do have a decent mall and a McD's there :smirk: ). Unless you are into dinosaur bones and such there is not much there to have any appeal that I can see. I've been there recently, and been there a few times for a few days. It is on a good highway (Route 2) and you can get to many places from there, but why there? It is in the middle of nowhere really.

I'd suggest Nong Khai or Udon Thani as better places to do this. Better area and right on the Mekong, so picturesque and interesting, sometimes cooler as well. Many sights to see, both are perfect for crossing into Laos for some further adventures. Both have some farang living there in the cities and cheap places to rent, some good 'farang food' restaurants and bars as well when you finally get sick of the local diet and foods. And there are some very decent smaller (and newer-ish) hotels to stay in for small baht (500-700 baht a day) where you can spend a couple weeks checking out the area to see if it would be suitable for a longer stay.

Just some thoughts. Khon Kaen is big, but there is not really much to see and do there, and, it is very hot and like I said, in the middle of nowhere. Surin for that matter is a much nicer place to stay and near the Cambo border, waterfalls, elephant camp, ruby village, silver village, silk village, and many nice ruins to visit if you are interested in the history. Surin also has some nice farang restaurants, bars and coffe shops owned by farang, a great new disco, some agogo bars and a coyote club, karaoke bars, and a bit of some nightlife. It also has many pretty Surin lasses as well that are quite friendly.

Cent

Thanks Cent - I will add Surin to my roadtrip :content:

Khon Kaen was recommended by several board members, largely because of the standard of the University (dont think my trip will fit into a Semester, but there you go). The thrust of the argument seemed to be that I might meet some hot students, and that some of them may even be women. Sounds great, but what I'm meant to do the rest of the time eludes me - the roadtrip will hopefully help me locate some other possibilities.

This is one of the big advantages of BKK - just walking down a 'new' Soi can be an education. Not sure if that holds true out in the sticks.

Gobble

Famous last words, that may come to haunt you

Yeah, bold shit like that usually does come back to us, doesnt it ? Will be interesting to see how the Isaan roadtrip pans out - inevitably, there will be a family somewhere with their hand out, their smiling daughter suddenly reduced to tears by the plight of her family. I'm going to make it clear to my intended guide that we arent going to Isaan so that I can see how miserable her family are - remedying their situation is for rich Thais like, er, her ! How many other girls in her bar will have their BF paid for a week, LT paid daily and all food and lodging provided ? Conversely, I am getting a local guide and interpreter (can Thais from other provinces even understand Lao/Isaan ? I read the folk from outside Buriram have trouble understanding their dialect - hope that doesnt apply to other towns.), a charming hostess and some great entertainment.

:elephant::chili::yay::yeahthat:

Archived