Tipping for massage

As far as I know you are never EXPECTED to tip. I you get great service and you feel the need to tip,give her what's fair in your eyes; up to you.

One place where it's almost necessary to give a 500 baht tip is Annie's; the staff keeps 800baht from the 1000 you pay.

Mr SnakeHead,

When you go for a traditional/oil massage without hanky panky you are not really expected to tip (may be different at a place that has a lot of tourists, Japanese businessmen etc.) - it is up to you. However the masseues do not really get a great deal for a 1 hour massage (~70 out of 140 baht per hour of the place I go to) ... so a small tip of 20-50+ baht would not be out of order unless you are dissatisfied.

jmc

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: slimey_toad ]

As a dumb American, and I'm trying to curb my habit of overtipping, I usually give them 100 baht for a traditional massage. On ocassions, they might convince me to a "hand job" in which case I'll tip about 300 baht. But the more and more I've spent time in LOS, it seems to appear that the girls are not shy about asking for tips and displaying their displeasure if it's not enough. I'm not a cheap charlie but I don't want to be an overtipping "fool". In a "soapy" massage, for an average tip, 300 baht, and 500 baht, for an extremely great massage but no more! How do you others rank in tipping, I'd like to know!

Thaistyx!

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: Thaistyx ]

I tip less now than when I first started going. I've begun to distinguish between great, average and poor service. At first everything seemed so cheap that I over paid and over tipped.

I guess my usually tipping for a good soapy is 300B. That would be for full service 1 1/2 hours in one of the better places. Sometimes 500 if they have to work hard to get me off. In a barbershop I might get a head and shoulder massage with my haircut. If it's good I give them an extra 20 or 40. For a traditional on the beach in Pattaya I don't tip as the girl/lady gets all of the money, usually 200B for an hour.

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

Just got back from Pattaya, and got a massage pretty much every day (once in awhile twice a day) usually at the same place. I usually tip about 100 baht, and the girls know it, so I usually get pretty good service. Being pleasant and friendly also helps. The last night in town I was walking by at closing time, and one of the girls asked why I didn't stop by like I told her I would. Said that I had earlier in the day but she must have been busy. Well, she offered to come back to my hotel for a 2hr oil massage, as it was my last night in town and I was currently alone I figured, why not? (of course her being young and cute didn't hurt). After paying the house, we went back to the room. What can I say it was a great massage, and we got to spend some time talking. For a two hour oil massage at 600 baht for the house she gets about 160 baht. She made about 600 baht the last week. That day she had only 2 customers and the tipped 20 baht each. She said that she spent 40 baht for the taxi to/from work that day (20 baht each way). So she barely broke even that day (till I came along anyway). Gave her a good time in the end, she stayed till 3:30 in the morning, and got a promise of a date the next time I'm in town. Bottom line, if you're planning on going back, and you got good service, tip well, you'll be remembered.

Yeah, I've found that the girls in the trad massage places can be quite good fun.

I remember in one place in Ptty, not a soapy but a standard mp, I'd had a hot day down the front and when I went for a massage I asked if I could use the shower first. Got a wash and changed into the trews which had a tendency to droop a bit at the back revealing a luvvly plumber's bum. Had the girl slapping me and pinching my arse going up the stairs (all that was missing was her asking me to squeal like a pig boy... "wheee, wheee"). Then got the usual ticklish nonsense as she pulled at the hairs on my chest. Pity it was in a large open plan room with a farang couple just past the next curtain. Still she wanted to know if I had a Thai wife due to the lovebites from a rather enthusiastic BKK go go dancer. "No, no, mosquito." "Mosquito mak mak."

Another joint had a short, plumpish massage girl who wasn't unnattractive. She said she couldn't do the traditional massage, calling me King Kong (I'm not that tall but I've got big shoulders but other mpgirls have been able to throw me around with abandon). However as a compromise I was happy to accept a nice oil massage.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Sukhumvit ]

Archived