Why even bother marrying your girlfriend, seriously!

panadolsandwich

Why do farangs marry their Thai girlfriends? I'm asking the question quite seriously, because I may be naive, but I can't really see the upside of doing it.

The only reason Iâ??d marry a Thai girl is to bring her home to my country in Australia to live with me. Australiaâ??s immigration laws are so strict; Iâ??m forced to marry her if I want her to live with me. Otherwise its endless tourist visas that are *not* easy to get for a Thai girl coming to Australia.

Still, letâ??s say Iâ??m happy to retire to Thailand and make a go of it over there (or here, Iâ??m here now). I wouldnâ??t need to worry about visas (for her), and we might be quite happy living together; i.e. until the spectre of marriage arrives.

I wonder who really does bear that spectre. Is it the lovelorn farang eager to lock in the prize? Is it the girl with the overbearing parents? Do the overbearing parents want a new TV, house, or even BMW to drive around Sisaket? Do the prospective husbands even realise the parents live in a one room shack and go out hunting at dusk for food?

Why marry the girl? Why not just shack up with her? Why pay sin sot to marry her? If you want to marry her and take her back home then just marry her in your own country. Why even countenance paying the greedy parents out to show off to their neighbours just how much of a mug they took you in for?

As I say, Iâ??m certainly missing something here, so someone please tell me!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps just to stay in the country ?

I know one guy who paid 200,000 baht (to the girl, not parents) just so he could get a marriage visa. He was under the retirement visa age, so got married just so he could stay in the country

I wonder how useful a marriage visa is though? Is it worth 200, 000 baht? Is it really true that such marriages of convenience are made? I find that hard to believe, seeing I could easily conceive of how I could stay here legally just on tourist visas alone. Maybe it's true if you come from Pakistan.

Is it easy for a farang to divorce a Thai girl if the marriage is made in Thailand? I have personally seen how easy it is for the vice-versa to happen, i.e. the Thai girl divorcing the Farang. Costs about 12,000 baht, and the Farang is not even involved in the process (surprise, surprise). Your assets in Thailand do not belong to you apparently. No recourse to courts (as if you wanted that anyway).

PS, not all of us have girls from Isaan...so no buying of houses/cars/buffalos required! And some of us really don't want to live in western countries...

For me, I've found someone I'm very happy with...easy as that! We may stay here, we may not. I'm sure we will move around a bit.

It's the real thing here.

Why do farangs marry their Thai girlfriends? I'm asking the question quite seriously, because I may be naive, but I can't really see the upside of doing it.

The only reason Iâ??d marry a Thai girl is to bring her home to my country in Australia to live with me. Australiaâ??s immigration laws are so strict; Iâ??m forced to marry her if I want her to live with me. Otherwise its endless tourist visas that are *not* easy to get for a Thai girl coming to Australia.

Still, letâ??s say Iâ??m happy to retire to Thailand and make a go of it over there (or here, Iâ??m here now). I wouldnâ??t need to worry about visas (for her), and we might be quite happy living together; i.e. until the spectre of marriage arrives.

I wonder who really does bear that spectre. Is it the lovelorn farang eager to lock in the prize? Is it the girl with the overbearing parents? Do the overbearing parents want a new TV, house, or even BMW to drive around Sisaket? Do the prospective husbands even realise the parents live in a one room shack and go out hunting at dusk for food?

Why marry the girl? Why not just shack up with her? Why pay sin sot to marry her? If you want to marry her and take her back home then just marry her in your own country. Why even countenance paying the greedy parents out to show off to their neighbours just how much of a mug they took you in for?

As I say, Iâ??m certainly missing something here, so someone please tell me!!!

Why do Austrailians marry their girlfriends - I'm being serious here, I just cant see why. ........sounds pretty inane doesn't it!!!!

Perhaps you should rephrase, something like 'Why do Farangs marry their barfines' Then I'd agree with you.

However, you are in danger of sounding like a guy who thinks all Thai women are whores.......and that would just be rather silly!

Archived