Why even bother marrying your girlfriend, seriously!

panadolsandwich

The other option panadol is to bring her out on a student visa. If she is serious about making a go of it good way to test the theory.

Study something like Commercial Cookery and do her English courses. She can work up to 20 hours a week although most establishments allow them to work longer and pay them under the table the difference. Depending on her age within 18 months to two years she can apply for her PR (Permanent Residency)

If it's all too hard for her the probably not worth the effort in the first place.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a relationship for 5 years now. My wife has never mentioned marriage so it's only going to change if the visa system does.

There are plenty of alternatives to the Marriage visa at the moment, particularly if you live as close to a border check point as I do. At the moment, when my business visa expires I can do three visa runs then have a trip to Vientiane for a tourist visa which will get me another three months.

When and if I get back to Australia I can apply for another multiple entry business visa which with careful handling will get me through 15 months.

Why do farangs marry their Thai girlfriends? I'm asking the question quite seriously' date=' because I may be naive, but I can't really see the upside of doing it.

The only reason Iâ??d marry a Thai girl is to bring her home to my country in Australia to live with me. Australiaâ??s immigration laws are so strict; Iâ??m forced to marry her if I want her to live with me. Otherwise its endless tourist visas that are *not* easy to get for a Thai girl coming to Australia.

Still, letâ??s say Iâ??m happy to retire to Thailand and make a go of it over there (or here, Iâ??m here now). I wouldnâ??t need to worry about visas (for her), and we might be quite happy living together; i.e. until the spectre of marriage arrives.

I wonder who really does bear that spectre. Is it the lovelorn farang eager to lock in the prize? Is it the girl with the overbearing parents? Do the overbearing parents want a new TV, house, or even BMW to drive around Sisaket? Do the prospective husbands even realise the parents live in a one room shack and go out hunting at dusk for food?

Why marry the girl? Why not just shack up with her? Why pay sin sot to marry her? If you want to marry her and take her back home then just marry her in your own country. Why even countenance paying the greedy parents out to show off to their neighbours just how much of a mug they took you in for?

As I say, Iâ??m certainly missing something here, so someone please tell me!!!

[/quote']

Why do Austrailians marry their girlfriends - I'm being serious here, I just cant see why. ........sounds pretty inane doesn't it!!!!

Perhaps you should rephrase, something like 'Why do Farangs marry their barfines' Then I'd agree with you.

However, you are in danger of sounding like a guy who thinks all Thai women are whores.......and that would just be rather silly!

Wow fuck me silly. I agree with frede.

Compare...

Thai lady marries a USA man, she gets; a green card (if she wants), she can/will get social security benefits (retirement $$$), she can buy/own a house/property, she can become a USA citizen quite easily.

Now if a USA man marries a Thai lady, he gets...no green card only a marriage visa if he has $$$ and all the rest of the crap to get a marriage visa and MUST maintain it every year, no retirement benefits, can NOT buy/own a house/property, very difficult to become a Thai citizen.

So why marry a Thai lady when the Thai government does about everything possible to discourage it. Hell, they do not even offer the same as she would get in the USA...WTF...how about same-same???

I don't get it.

Two of my farang traveling mates have married Thai gals.

In those two cases, I see no valid reason to have done so. And I have seen much money vanish.

So why did they marry the Thai gals?

Answer: Alcohol.

Of course, THEY have a completely different viewpoint(s). None are valid though.

"Lest ye not judge, as thou be judged" or some such wording!

:wave:

Compare...

Thai lady marries a USA man, she gets; a green card (if she wants), she can/will get social security benefits (retirement $$$), she can buy/own a house/property, she can become a USA citizen quite easily.

Now if a USA man marries a Thai lady, he gets...no green card only a marriage visa if he has $$$ and all the rest of the crap to get a marriage visa and MUST maintain it every year, no retirement benefits, can NOT buy/own a house/property, very difficult to become a Thai citizen.

So why marry a Thai lady when the Thai government does about everything possible to discourage it. Hell, they do not even offer the same as she would get in the USA...WTF...how about same-same???

The only discouragement as you put it is if you stay in Thailand.

I fail to see how benefits for your wife somehow means you shouldn't get married?

The point is, the USA offers x amount of benefits, why doesn't Thailand do the same?

IMO, it should be same-same.

Thailand doesn't offer x benefits, then the USA should not either.

Getting married, if you want to live in the USA, yes, better to marry...she will be covered under you medical insurance, pension, social security, etc.

If you live in Thailand...why get married? no benefits, only hassles, like renewing the marriage visa every year...WTF if up with that?

OK, what benefit (visa? financial? insurance? property? work permit?) will the farang get in Thailand? I see none.

Nothing negative toward the lady (wife) but I see it as the Thai government giving no benefits to the farang to encourage marriage...am I missing something, as I am not married to a Thai :dunno:

Panadol -

1 - Marriage visa in Thailand doesn't cost 200 000 Baht - in fact it's cheaper and easier than a work visa.

2 - You don't need to be married to get "her" into Australia - de facto recognized - slightly harder to get but very possible.

Archived