Why even bother marrying your girlfriend, seriously!

panadolsandwich

Why do farangs marry their Thai girlfriends? I'm asking the question quite seriously, because I may be naive, but I can't really see the upside of doing it.

The only reason Iâ??d marry a Thai girl is to bring her home to my country in Australia to live with me. Australiaâ??s immigration laws are so strict; Iâ??m forced to marry her if I want her to live with me. Otherwise its endless tourist visas that are *not* easy to get for a Thai girl coming to Australia.

Still, letâ??s say Iâ??m happy to retire to Thailand and make a go of it over there (or here, Iâ??m here now). I wouldnâ??t need to worry about visas (for her), and we might be quite happy living together; i.e. until the spectre of marriage arrives.

I wonder who really does bear that spectre. Is it the lovelorn farang eager to lock in the prize? Is it the girl with the overbearing parents? Do the overbearing parents want a new TV, house, or even BMW to drive around Sisaket? Do the prospective husbands even realise the parents live in a one room shack and go out hunting at dusk for food?

Why marry the girl? Why not just shack up with her? Why pay sin sot to marry her? If you want to marry her and take her back home then just marry her in your own country. Why even countenance paying the greedy parents out to show off to their neighbours just how much of a mug they took you in for?

As I say, Iâ??m certainly missing something here, so someone please tell me!!!

Honestly, why do you care?

I really make a point of not sticking my nose in other people's relationships.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you live in Thailand...why get married? no benefits, only hassles, like renewing the marriage visa every year...WTF if up with that?

OK, what benefit (visa? financial? insurance? property? work permit?) will the farang get in Thailand? I see none....

I see no hassle with the marriage visa. As CTO says, it is easier to get than other visas IMHO. Besides, you do not *need* to have a marriage visa if you are married. It is just another option available to you.

The biggest benefit to being legally married in LoS is that you can then put your name on land deeds. Yes, that comes with a rider that you must divest of the land if you ever get divorced or she dies (within one year), but that also stops any unscrupulous gals/families from stealing your property. Most guys, and even employees of the land offices do not know this, but all the land ex-wife & I owned was titled that way, at her request. Our lawyer did it as a matter of course.

Is that worth anything to you? Up to the individual's situ, I guess.

Cheers,

SD

[

Well said Chappy...You know I have always respected you for your position on this subject....just a pity more people didn't take the same approach.....and stop jumping in, typecasting people and making broad generalizations about people..

...Live and let Die....I say

Cheers DS

Why do farangs marry their Thai girlfriends? I'm asking the question quite seriously' date=' because I may be naive, but I can't really see the upside of doing it.

The only reason Iâ??d marry a Thai girl is to bring her home to my country in Australia to live with me. Australiaâ??s immigration laws are so strict; Iâ??m forced to marry her if I want her to live with me. Otherwise its endless tourist visas that are *not* easy to get for a Thai girl coming to Australia.

Still, letâ??s say Iâ??m happy to retire to Thailand and make a go of it over there (or here, Iâ??m here now). I wouldnâ??t need to worry about visas (for her), and we might be quite happy living together; i.e. until the spectre of marriage arrives.

I wonder who really does bear that spectre. Is it the lovelorn farang eager to lock in the prize? Is it the girl with the overbearing parents? Do the overbearing parents want a new TV, house, or even BMW to drive around Sisaket? Do the prospective husbands even realise the parents live in a one room shack and go out hunting at dusk for food?

Why marry the girl? Why not just shack up with her? Why pay sin sot to marry her? If you want to marry her and take her back home then just marry her in your own country. Why even countenance paying the greedy parents out to show off to their neighbours just how much of a mug they took you in for?

As I say, Iâ??m certainly missing something here, so someone please tell me!!!

[/quote']

I care because I am considering marrying a girl myself. So this isn't just a mindless question posted to the relationship forum as an exercise in proving some mindless point. I asked for guidance and (so sorry) information on other people's relationships, based on their own experience. Sounds like a forum doesn't it? Sounds suspiciously like this could be a relationship forum???

By the way, if this was a forum on relationships with Australian girls, I might indeed be in fact asking 'Why marry your Australian girlfriend?'.

I suppose I failed to say that I'm sceptical of marriage in general, no matter how much I love the girl.

So no, the question isn't aimed at bar girls, and of course only a small fraction of Thai women are whores; the question still stands...

The other option panadol is to bring her out on a student visa. If she is serious about making a go of it good way to test the theory.

Study something like Commercial Cookery and do her English courses. She can work up to 20 hours a week although most establishments allow them to work longer and pay them under the table the difference. Depending on her age within 18 months to two years she can apply for her PR (Permanent Residency)

If it's all too hard for her the probably not worth the effort in the first place.

This is perhaps one of the most useful replies I've ever received. Thanks, and I'll definitely be looking into this option.

The other option panadol is to bring her out on a student visa. If she is serious about making a go of it good way to test the theory.

Study something like Commercial Cookery and do her English courses. She can work up to 20 hours a week although most establishments allow them to work longer and pay them under the table the difference. Depending on her age within 18 months to two years she can apply for her PR (Permanent Residency)

If it's all too hard for her the probably not worth the effort in the first place.

This is perhaps one of the most useful replies I've ever received. Thanks, and I'll definitely be looking into this option.

Archived