Economical situation in LOS???

drogon

Is it due to the oil costs???

Because I thought Thailand was pretty self sufficient food wise (or at least this is what the government claims).

I might be wrong but I understand why many utilities (imported) cost more, many industrial activities and services are affected by the oil cost but why the food is so much more expensive?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it due to the oil costs???

Because I thought Thailand was pretty self sufficient food wise (or at least this is what the government claims).

Very easy - seafood became expensive because of the high fuel price for old diesel engines of boats. Then you have to add the rising transportation cost to bring all the food to Bangkok.

But it is not only oil at least not directly. Fertilizer more than doubled as well.

But it is not only oil at least not directly. Fertilizer more than doubled as well

The cost of a barrel of oil flows on to pretty much everything, either because oil is used in manufacture, or transport (isnt that everything on the planet ?)

I was stunned when an expat in KL told me how many billion Ringitt the taxpayer there pumps into the fuel subsidy to ensure that Malaysians can continue to get to work etc. The government there knows that anything that threatens the economy threatens stability - interesting that Thais are being asked to pay almost as much at the pump as Aussies : 40 baht per litre to a Thai is considerably more than the $AUD 1.65 mark that had radio shock jocks and pollies foaming at the mouth when I left Oz.

Despite this, I see more monster 4WDs on the road here than I would have believed were even remotely viable - same Jakarta and KL. Troop carriers for families which have remained large despite an increasingly educated and urbanised population - we really are a virus : bring on that comet :smirk:

I was stunned when an expat in KL told me how many billion Ringitt the taxpayer there pumps into the fuel subsidy to ensure that Malaysians can continue to get to work etc. The government there knows that anything that threatens the economy threatens stability - interesting that Thais are being asked to pay almost as much at the pump as Aussies : 40 baht per litre to a Thai is considerably more than the $AUD 1.65 mark that had radio shock jocks and pollies foaming at the mouth when I left Oz.

Under Thaksin the diesel price has been kept at 14.59 THB for over a year until in March 2006 the price floated after he has been reelected. The cost has been in the Billions of USD. Taxpayerâ??s money wasted to ensure Thaksinâ??s reelection.

The price of fuel has nothing to do with how developed or rich a country is. All are importers buy from the same market and the price only varies due to added taxes. In Cambodia the oil price is even higher, I heard over 50 THB per liter.

The economy in Thailand is very strong now. Sure it has problems with petrol and diesel prices but that will be compemsated by the rising rice price. So IMO 2008 will not become a crise (even if Gadfly has predicted that for more than year).

Mate' date=' you read too much propaganda. The reality is 180 degrees different. I mean, the the price of an egg has raised from B2 to B5 since Jan! Wages have not...

Cheers,

SD [/quote']

Are you sure about this? My impression by reading the papers is that despite a lot of people feeling squeezed, and a lot of moaning, Thailand as a whole is doing pretty well at the moment.

That prices rise MIGHT be an indication of a good economy. A lot people get more money in their hands, prices rise. Demand and supply... A general drop in prices have never been a sign of a good economy, so do anybody have the numbers? Think I read somewhere that BNP is rising around 6%, a rate most western countries can only dream about.

Paillote

Where did you read that the Thai Economy is doing well? I only get opposite messages except for the usual government propaganda.

FYI salaries aren't rising as much as inflation. Most people definitely don't have more money in hand and feel the pressure. Especially the lower income groups - speak 80% of the working population - are suffering and having not enough money to cover their daily needs. Why else did many major companies implement special funds supporting incomes under 25,000 THB.

On top of the economic issues Thailand faces a severe political crises and has an incompetent nominee government having no clue to handle the economic challenges

The economy in Thailand is very strong now.

Are you sure about this? My impression by reading the papers is that despite a lot of people feeling squeezed, and a lot of moaning, Thailand as a whole is doing pretty well at the moment.

That prices rise MIGHT be an indication of a good economy. A lot people get more money in their hands, prices rise. Demand and supply... A general drop in prices have never been a sign of a good economy, so do anybody have the numbers? Think I read somewhere that BNP is rising around 6%, a rate most western countries can only dream about.

Thailand's projected 2008 GDP growth keeps on being revised downward and already is amongst the lowest in the region. Comparing growth rates of 3rd world developing countries to 1st world developed ones is, at best, naive...

Price rises as big and sudden as these we are witnessing coupled with stagnating wages have never been a sign of a good economy.

FDI directed to Vietnam has for the first time surpassed that directed to Thailand (and Thai investors are among those investing in Vietnam and had even been encouraged by the previous govt to do so!). IIRC, 2008 FDI to Vietnam so far has been one third more than that Thailand got...

I am going to sit back and enjoy the show of Thailand getting a long overdue and much deserved kick in the ass.

:)

FIGJAM: I agree with you that some politicians and other people "managing" the country deserve to have a bad surprise.

I could also accept that "people who voted for them"

get what they deserve.

Still, I would be sad for more than a few honest, hard-working Thai people whom I got to know...

-> If Thailand goes down once more

FIGJAM: I agree with you that some politicians and other people "managing" the country deserve to have a bad surprise.

I could also accept that "people who voted for them"

get what they deserve.

Firstly, with these 2 categories you have already included MOST of Thailand (this a democracy, right?)

Secondly, had the other party won not much would have changed (it rarely does, in LOS...).

Still, I would be sad for more than a few honest, hard-working Thai people whom I got to know...

-> If Thailand goes down once more

And thirdly, I think we should apply to countries like Thailand the same socio-economical-political pressure we put on South Africa.

I am sorry, Drogron, but I don't support xenophobic, racist, classist, sexist, violent, ruthless societies like Thailand's...

That is what the bulk of the Thai society is.

I believe the worsening global economy and the many crises brewing will eventually take care of this fucking PC bullshit we have been promoting in the West. I am doing my part telling as many people as I can like it really is in the "Land of Smiles".

More and more people are, like me, becoming tired of being kind to folks who are not kind to us nor to the others weaker and poorer than them.

Archived