A new Purachai on his way?

Hardy641

Todayâ??s article in the Nation about ML Nattakorn Devakula, a TV celebrity, planning to run for BKK governor made me immediately think of our old foe Purachai.

"And he could certainly count out people from the entertainment industry, cab drivers, food vendors, beverage distributors and others who make their living from night life.

He plans to crack down on the night-life areas, especially places where prostitution takes place. He didn't say where he would start. Nattakorn says prostitutes have ruined Bangkok's reputation."

Luckily there is still a long way to go and hopefully he will never get electedâ?¦

Full article to found:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/06/04/headlines/headlines_30074733.php

this guy tries to speak english with such a exaggerated american accent, that he looks like a comedian.

he is the son of the former finance minister (and before governor of the bank of thailand) during the military government, so actually re politics just on the opposite side of Purachai...but then in Thai Politics, everything is possible!

I do not know but I believe he mentioned that nightlife should be eradicated.

What is interesting in my opinion is that he mentions nightlife and prostitutes but contrary to some others he did not specify "farang nightlife"

-> could it be nightlife in general.

Not that I believe that any Thai politician in the near future could ever take such a decision (and enforce it)

Just that if a Thai politician genuinely wishes to eradicate prostitution in the kingdom then he deserves my respect, even if the fight is by definition a hopeless one.

-> But I do not believe a Thai politician could really wish such a thing to happen without his own political agenda.

So have any of these politicians who want to "eradicate" nightlife in BKK worked out what they are going to do with all the unemployed bar girls, cab drivers, street-stall holders, hotel employees etc that feed off this industry?

Hey - perhapes they're planning to introduce the dole in LOS! That'd work!!

Wankers!

he is the son of the former finance minister (and before governor of the bank of thailand) during the military government, so actually re politics just on the opposite side of Purachai...but then in Thai Politics, everything is possible!

Don't know the guy at all - just his dad. I don't see him on the opposite site of Purachai. They are both not really linked to a political party; rather independent heavy weights. Both are conservative and nationalist. It has been Devula introducing the 30% capital control and backing stricter amendments to the FBA while being finance minister.

So I definitely see some similarities. So letâ??s just hope Chuvit who according to article also intends to run will make it. Nightlife will surely prosper under him.

Agree Waerth, problem is: If one Thai politician succeeds in "closing the nightlife" (which in my opinion is impossible).

Will the Bangkokians wbe happy with the financial consequences?

Still, we are talking about an impossibility...

(Would be quite curious, if it ever happens, to see the results)

The majority of the nightlife is for Thais...this is total hypocrisy and bullshit...the farang areas are high profile and well known, but that's the tip of the iceberg.

the farang nightlife is not the tip of the iceberg. more like a crevasse of a glacier, into which many have fallen deep! :neener:

Archived