A new Purachai on his way?

Hardy641

Faustian, I always thought that only farangs were customers of prostitutes in LOS and thus the ones responsible for the moral depravity.

:neener:

Of course, the fact that 90-95%? of the bargirls cater to locals can not be considered as prostitution

:neener::angel::drunk:

The majority of the nightlife is for Thais...this is total hypocrisy and bullshit...the farang areas are high profile and well known, but that's the tip of the iceberg.

Faustian, the average Bangkokian is a lot less concerned about the farang nightlife, as it is mostly "isaan" people involved in that.

They do hate the nightlife that makes their son and daughters go drunk, eat drugs and have sex. Nowhere did I mean the nightlife for Farang.

I agree with Drogon on the ripple effects if they close the nightlife down. But I think most Bangkokians do not even think about that.

What they see is that their society is changng rapidly and they want it to stop .... at all costs if necessary.

Waerth

Agree Waerth, problem is: If one Thai politician succeeds in "closing the nightlife" (which in my opinion is impossible).

Will the Bangkokians wbe happy with the financial consequences?

[\quote]

He doesn't said he gonna close the whole nightlife but will fight the P4P part and impose stricter controls.

Back in 2001/2002 Purachai has been almost successful with his social order crusade. Bangkok and even Pattaya closed at 1am and no showing at all. The ID card checks he introduced to prevent 21 to enter clubs are still there. Also the notorious foodstalls along lower Sukhimvit, which are a direct result of his stupid crusade. Still he has been (is) very popular with the majority Bangkokians. His plan was to introduce zoning and close every place outside th designated zones at midnight next. Luckilly he fall out with Thaksin and has been removed soon after. If he would have stayed on, I am convinced he would have been successful in implementing the strict closure outside the zoning areas - and the whole Sukhumvit wasn't foreseen as a zone!!! For farangs only Patpong with the other zones being Ratchada and RCA.

So I wouldn't be so sure that it is impossible. I would rather see Chuwit or Apirak winning it.

What they see is that their society is changng rapidly and they want it to stop .... at all costs if necessary.

Let's do better, and roll back the clock 150 years - I am sure Bangkok was a much more enjoyable place. :smirk: Many Thais suffer from what I like to call the "Little House on the Prairie" effect - a delusional belief that life was better in the past.

The fact is that Bangkok is a better place now than it was ten years ago. Pollution is not as bed, and the quality and variety of life is better. This is not only true in Thailand; around the world the quality of life has gnerally improved over time.

The problem in Thailand - and this is common in emerging economies - is that an elite, who have prospored and thrived from protectionism and are unable to compete, are genuinely threatened by globalization. So, to protect their own selfish interests, they stoke the flames of nationalism and xenophobia.

We got more than a whiff of what they'd like to do with last yearâ??s militarily appointed government. Revenge of the bureaucrats and the xenophobes. Thaksin was bad, but those guys demonstrated that there is something worse

Interesting that now that democracy, of a sorts, has returned â?? and an incredibly dysfunctional one at that â?? itâ??s still a 1000% better than what we saw last year on virtually all fronts.

Archived