Airlines May Start Treating Passengers Like Freight

Flashermac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids already get a 25% discount, generally.

Thai women get screwed.

Although I once read something on Dean Barrett's website about his friend who took his Thai wife out to dinner in New York and the waiter offered the wife a children's discount. :doah:

Won't work, and is wrong. You buy a plane ticket, and you buy a product/service, hence charging by weight is discriminatory. Now, if a person is so damned big, they take up 2+ seats, then yes (as the courts have ruled) you may charge them more, as they are taking up 2 seats.

Charging by weight, will lead to charging by height, then what? charging smaller people because it is not "weight/cost efficient to fly..." too many bullshit variables here, and as I said, no need to encourage these fuck wit airline managers to charge more for any and all reasons...

My comment (maybe in another thread) was along the lines of if the airlines are going to charge for the first checked bag, then they may as well go ahead and charge for total weight, it's only logical and fair, IMO.

It's not practical though. It might be if there weren't already a dozen other things to be done since 9/11 during the check-in process.

I'm not talking about fares. Just a simple change in the tariff that says an adult gets something like 250 pounds of total weight, as opposed to the current baggage restrictions, otherwise you pay excess. Works out great for Asian ladies on shopping trips, or if you are traveling with one, since the weight limitations are shared among the party.

Again, it's not practical, and I certainly don't think it's a solution for an ailing industry - it just makes sense.

Unfortunately, it doesn't address something else you mentioned - the fat fucks (or even big folks) who take up more than one seat in coach. Those people shouldn't be allowed to sit in 'cattle class' (and they should stop calling it cattle class, in case that's the reason it's attracting all the fat cows). In the words of my 4 year old daughter, sitting in first class, "Daddy, can we go sit back there? These seats are too big for kids."

Nothing against large people, but I think the airlines should come up with a solution for the unfortunates who have to sit next to them, in the form of a refund, extra miles, or a coupon for future travel. I mean, if I only get to use 50% of the seat I paid for because of infringement, then I should be able to press the call button, or wait 5 hours until the duty free service comes around, and report the violation to a flight attendant, whereupon my account will be credited.

The same should apply for victims of sitting next to people with BO.

Or bores.

And even, although I hate to say this, boring drunks. :beer::drunk::sleeping:

Won't work, and is wrong. You buy a plane ticket, and you buy a product/service, hence charging by weight is discriminatory. Now, if a person is so damned big, they take up 2+ seats, then yes (as the courts have ruled) you may charge them more, as they are taking up 2 seats.

Charging by weight, will lead to charging by height, then what? charging smaller people because it is not "weight/cost efficient to fly..." too many bullshit variables here, and as I said, no need to encourage these fuck wit airline managers to charge more for any and all reasons...

If you were a tailor making suits for people, you would be entitled to charge more for the extra material that a larger person required.

If you ran a restaurant that offered a product called a 'meal', you would be entitled to charge more if certain people required more of your expensive ingredients to be satisfied by this 'meal'.

So why not airlines? Weight (and size) obviously makes a big difference.

Btw, I think you're bitter from being too close to the business. :) If you look at it from where I'm standing, it seems to me that airlines is one of those few areas where service and prices have improved over the past 10-15 years. Prices lower in real terms than when I first flew to Thailand (even though oil is much more expensive), better choice, more budget airlines, etc. (Unfortunately, it's because got so easy and cheap to fly that we're getting more lowlifes coming here. :( )

"...it seems to me that airlines is one of those few areas where service and prices have improved over the past 10-15 years. Prices lower in real terms..."

5555555555555, you must be kidding?

I flew on Delta 15 years ago, econo class and was served a steak dinner!

I flew 1st class United 6 weeks ago and was served...NOTHING!!! no even a ferking bag of chips!!!

Prices, continue to go up and the service goes down!

American Air, international flight, NO free alcohol drinks in eco class.

All airlines charge for one piece of luggage.

Five years ago, I was getting round trip air fare to BKK for $750 USD, now I am looking at over $2000!!! and have to pay extra for any luggage! WTF!!! and it continues to get worse!!

Thailand gives kids price discount at theme parks - BTS etc - based on height - too bad your 4 year old is tall - pays full price!

Is that a midget or girlfriend - halfprice.

Bizarre - wish the airline would do it!

Archived