Airlines May Start Treating Passengers Like Freight

Flashermac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quite easy to do this.

say that the airline's income from 1 flgiht to los is £120,000 (£300 per seat x 300 passengers)

Then take the gross weight of people that a plane can hold, lets say, 300 passengers x 15 stone

= 4500 stone (4.5 tonnes)

So each stone is worth £26.67.

Someone who weighs 10 stone would pay £266.67

Someone who weighs 20 stone would pay £533.33

Fair for all and a good incentive to shed those pounds....

I suppose what the airlines wouldnt then want is 300 people weiging 10 stone on the aircraft...

Chelseafan, whilst I agree with your sentiments your calculations are crock, for a start 120,000 is 400 for 300 passangers or 300 for 400 passangers, if you wish to have a debate at least get your calculations correct.

Secondly the Payload, that is Passangers + Luggage + Cargo makes up only about 30% of the total MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weigh) of a commercial Airliner the rest being the actual weight of the aircraft and the fuel being carried, therefore 80,000 of the cost has to be split equally and the 40,000 balance calculated by weight, so the price would be 266.67 fixed price + 8.88 per stone or 355.55 for a 10 stone person and 444.43 for a 20 stone person (using your hyperthetical figures)

As for the size v weight argument, international couriers charge by weight not size, if I Fedex a 5KG package in a 12" x 12" x 12" box it costs the same as a 5KG package in a 15" x 15" x 15" box, but 10KG in the 12" x 12" x 12" box costs more.

<< Or what if I sat in the steam room for 4 hours before my flight and lost 10 pounds; I would get a nice discount but after I dranked 10 pounds of water on the plane, I would be back to my old weight. >>

You're presuming they'd provide you with anything to drink? That would be counter productive. No more food and beverages on flights, no matter how long!

"...As for the size v weight argument, international couriers charge by weight not size, if I Fedex a 5KG package in a 12" x 12" x 12" box it costs the same as a 5KG package in a 15" x 15" x 15" box, but 10KG in the 12" x 12" x 12" box costs more..."

Fed Ex also offers a deal with a box (forget the exact measurements) where in you fill that box, up to 25kgs, and it is one set price. The price being a bit cheaper than a regular 25kg shipment, not sure what their angle is on it, but I have used it. Perhaps configure an airplane so that each person is allowed so much cubic measurement and weight?

Quite easy to do this.

say that the airline's income from 1 flgiht to los is £120' date='000 (£300 per seat x 300 passengers)

Then take the gross weight of people that a plane can hold, lets say, 300 passengers x 15 stone

= 4500 stone (4.5 tonnes)

So each stone is worth £26.67.

Someone who weighs 10 stone would pay £266.67

Someone who weighs 20 stone would pay £533.33

Fair for all and a good incentive to shed those pounds....

I suppose what the airlines wouldnt then want is 300 people weiging 10 stone on the aircraft...

[/quote']

Chelseafan, whilst I agree with your sentiments your calculations are crock, for a start 120,000 is 400 for 300 passangers or 300 for 400 passangers, if you wish to have a debate at least get your calculations correct.

I dont know whats sadder, me not being able to divide 120,000 by 300 (a genuine mistake after a hard days work) or that you actually went through it to check it was right :p

• 3 years later...

Been an aircraft engineer for 25 years now; 1/ Passangers PAX have been called "walk on freight" for years. 2/ what determines the number of PAX allowed on an aircraft is not the weight, that's secondary to how long it takes the PAX to get off the aircraft in an emergency. A lot of the airlines want to reduce the seat pitch to less than 32 inches and the seat designers are in a race to design quick exit seats so expect the long legged to be hit with a surcharge soon!

"2/ what determines the number of PAX allowed on an aircraft is not the weight, that's secondary to how long it takes the PAX to get off the aircraft in an emergency."

That's news to me.

Well obviously you are not going to get 3000 PAX onto an A320 but the limiting factor that kicks in first is not the weight, in fact the Chinese along with Ryan Air are looking at buying Airbus A380's and putting bus like standing room only with a bench like high seat that you stand against and strap to for take off. Imagine how many passangers then? The EU wont allow it but the Chinese will.

standing only airlines

Archived