dangerous bacteria

Dexi

On my last stay in Pattaya I had to buy a new pair of sandals.Unfortunetely having not worn them for several months they rubbed part of a toe.I didn`t worry and carried on as usual walking along the beach etc.After a few days my toe and foot really swelled up so much I could not put on any type of shoe and was quite painfull.After about 5 days I decided to bite the bullet and visit the hospital ( Memorial central Ptta )The staff were quite helpfull and I got seen by the doc. more or less straight away...a couple of injections and a weeks worth of anti-biotics later the foot improved ( note here...dont drink while taking these - I did and experienced something close to what I imagine LSD must be like...)....Back in my corner of Farangland the local paper ran a story about a local chap staying in Pttya who died of septisemia fairly soon after a minor bike accident left him with cuts and scrapes....So...is there a strain of bacteria that some of us Farangs need to watch out for...ps.before I discovered LOS I often had minor cuts and scrapes contaminated with dirt etc but never had any kind of problem....

For years I was convinced that anywhere "foreign" swarmed with particularly lethal germs waiting to bring the unsuspecting traveler low.

I'm a lot less paranoid now but still dab every scrape or cut with Betadine or the Thai equivalent. It comes in a little easy to pack plastic squeeze bottle.

An acquaintance had a similar problem in Pattaya last year: a mosquito bite on his lower leg got infected, then just kept progressing along the lines described by the OP. When he finally realized he was in trouble, he was put on intravenous antibiotics. That successfully suppressed the infection.

I met one guy who got small wound from coral while he was diving. The wound got infected with some kind of bacteria and that guy had to visit hospital regularly for a shot of antibiotics and the doctors were even speaking about amputation if it gets worse. His knee was about double it's normal size. Scary.

Archived