US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq

Flashermac

Not replying to anyone in particular, just my general observations about the armed forces.

A lot of people tend to look at armed forces and just see the man with a gun at the front line but there is a lot more to it than that, some of the best Engineers I have worked with are ex Navy (especialy the submariners) some of the best logistics people are ex army, as for the Air Force best guys to go on the piss with.

After I graduated I seriously considered enrolling to the Royal Navy but went civvie street instead, I sometimes ask myself "what if" I had followed that path.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a gnats bollock away from signing up for the RAF. Had a couple of visits, filled in all of the forms, passed the medicals and other tests etc, then the bastards told me I was colour blind and I couldn't do what I wanted to do. :(

Strange thing is I never ever notice that I am colour blind, I just couldn't trace out a green snake thingy on an orange background. Why the feck would I have to do that anyway in the RAF :banghead:

<< Strange thing is I never ever notice that I am colour blind, I just couldn't trace out a green snake thingy on an orange background. Why the feck would I have to do that anyway in the RAF. >>

Very simple answer. One of my friends is a WWII vet, retired Lt Col. He told me he often rode as a passenger on B-17s after the war and was allowed to take the controls. One night they were flying into the airport at Dallas. The pilot grinned and told him to line them up with the runway. My friend said he couldn't spot a runway anywhere. The pilot replied, "That's why you're not allowed to fly."

Only when the pilot had lined the plane up on the approach could he make out the red runway lights. Before that, the lights blended in with all the other city lights. He said, "If it had been up to me to land that plane, I'd have been flying around until I ran out of fuel."

Archived