Problem with 11 and 18

drogon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, as most of you know, 20 is the oddity, I originally thoguht it was song-sib (2 x 10), until they corrected me with yee-sib.

Be interested to know why 20 is so different.

Good question which I cannot answer. But then again it is the only odd one in thai.

You try my language, it is based on ancient numerals, no straightforward logic.

Sixty is 3 scores, 80 is 4 scores, 50, 70 and 90 are half of the last score of resp. 3, 6 and 8.

You ask a dane why that is so or ask for an explanation and you will receive blank stares. Although our estemeed member Moonoi with his intimate relationships with danish females - strictly platonic needless to say - would be able to shed futher light over this issue. :thumbup:

At least the swedes and the norwegians got their act straight. :)

Sorry, beyond the point, I dunno why yisip for 20 is yisip.

Samak, help us out here.

cheers

hua nguee

You try my language, it is based on ancient numerals, no straightforward logic.

Sixty is 3 scores, 80 is 4 scores, 50, 70 and 90 are half of the last score of resp. 3, 6 and 8.

French also has some left of the old scores:

80 is quatre-vingts (4 times 20)

90 is quatre-vingts-dix (4 times 20 + 10)

The most confusing in danish HN isn't the scores but that you place units before tens! The norwegians did that many years ago but luckily dropped it. :)

No problem for me - all from Jutland think I'm danish from Copenhagen, those from Copenhagen that I come from Bornholm. :smirk:

So how do you explain soixante elef? :)

The most confusing in danish HN isn't the scores but that you place units before tens

Agree, we learnt that from the germans.;)

My fellow countrymen seem to be able to pinpoint my exact location due to my provincial pronounciation :( You are apparently doing very well in danish elef. You have my respect sir! :)

Most swedes and norweigians who settle in Denmark, never bother to learn the language. As they are being understood anyway.

Samak, thank you for the explanation.

cheers

hn

Archived