PP and the new road to KohKong

dddave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - as soon as Dddave heard Frank was sick he flew over there.

Going on memory, one of the people on the Thursday night opening mentioned how sick Frank looked and Ed took him off to the hospital. To be fair the owner of Flamingo's did visit Frank that Saturday, but they also screwed him over the hotel. Asia - business and family are far apart within families let alone Borangs who wonder past and join in.

A girl from the bar stayed with him in hospital through that Friday night - now that's the way you go out! I wonder if Frank knew she was there?

I was told that the Koh Kong-Sihanoukville road has also been improved. No longer necessary to take that miserable speedboat: fare now $25.

If you spend time around Sihanoukville, consider taking a trip to Kampot and Kep, beautiful steps back into time.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll make side trips to Kampot and Kep after get there.

ddave,

thanks for the report.

One thing puzzles me though about the overland route - unless you're interested in the koh kong & trat visits why the detour when via Aranyaprethet seems like the more direct route - perhaps the new road more than offset that is it?

Anyways good to know that AA now 'competes' with BangkokAirs earlier monopoly, but price still seems steep - 4k gets you RTN to most other cities in the region...

Ah well I just can't wait to pay my ~4k for the multiple entry re-entry permit on my 1y permit to stay :banghead:

FWIW...

The road from KKong -> Hwy4 and all 4 bridges have been open since mid last April. It was in April that they finished work on the last two bridges (the center two). The road itself was finished early last year...but ferries were needed for river crossing until the bridge work was done. Unlike when ferries were needed to cross, there is no charge for using the bridges.

The road was great early last year but I've noticed it's already starting to deteriorate a little in some areas, and traffic is starting to increase. I've taken that road maybe 6-times, by motorcycle, in the last 1.5 years.

ddave,

thanks for the report.

One thing puzzles me though about the overland route - unless you're interested in the koh kong & trat visits why the detour when via Aranyaprethet seems like the more direct route - perhaps the new road more than offset that is it?

Anyways good to know that AA now 'competes' with BangkokAirs earlier monopoly, but price still seems steep - 4k gets you RTN to most other cities in the region...

Ah well I just can't wait to pay my ~4k for the multiple entry re-entry permit on my 1y permit to stay :banghead:

The road from P.P. to Aranyapratet still sucks, especially the streach between Battambang and the border. The border crossing is also more difficult with Thai Immigration making it as difficult as they can. Koh Kong is a breeze.

The B4k airfare reflects the newer reality of fuel surcharges and don't forget, I said that the B4k also included the $25 departure tax.

• 2 weeks later...
...you do not need to take 5 or so ferries and the land route is direct. Wow, taking a motorbike from KK to PP would be interesting.

...maybe direct but a tiring journey on a bike, especially on the butt with my dirt bike, better with a street bike. Gas prices have become a dissuading factor..1200-1300Bt for gas at current Thai prices. And gas is more expensive in Cambodia than Thailand.

For the less money one could get transport from BKK or PTY to the border and take the ferry to Sihanoukville, arriving less fatigued. This is best for the tourist/visitor/visa runner.

For the less money one could get transport from BKK or PTY to the border and take the ferry to Sihanoukville' date=' arriving less fatigued. This is best for the tourist/visitor/visa runner.[/quote']

Are you kidding??? That "ferry" is actually a large speedboat designed for river use, not open water. Anybody who has ridden that accident waiting to happen in rough seas can attest to how scary it can be. Besides, as I stated previously, the fare is now US$25, more than twice the bus fare.

Archived