PP and the new road to KohKong

dddave

I like the ferry and would take it over a van or bus. It seems sturdy enough to me. They cancel trips if the weather is bad, anyway.

It's got a toilet. You can walk around even go outside. They sell drinks and snacks.

It may cost more, but it's very roomy and interesting.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ferry seemed like a deathtrap to me. If anything happens there are only very limited exits in relation to the passenger capacity. Its a few years since I did it, but I don't think I'd do it again if it is still the same ferry as in 2002

• 2 years later...

A quick peek at my maps seems to indicate neither route to PPenh, from BKK, is significantly shorter.

I've ridden my motorcycle through KKong many times, and while hwy-48 to hwy-4 is a breeze, the real danger with Khmer drivers begins on hwy 4, the closer you get to PPenh. Similar, but not as bad with Khmer drivers is entering PPenh from the north on hwy-5.

Also, don't plan a bike trip close to any major Khmer holidays due to increases in road traffic. Chinese New Year is the worst!

• 4 months later...

I've been on the Poipet to Siem Reap road -- that one's pure hell. If they are reporting this new road as good, which I guess would mean close to the quality of the road from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, then it would be the only way to consider going on this route. I think taking a bike on any road that's like that Siem Reap road (which I heard the Battambang one is) would be the opposite of fun or 'interesting'.

http://talesofasia.com/images/cam-overland-trucks.jpg

OK that's on a bad day, but...

I've been on the Poipet to Siem Reap road -- that one's pure hell.

That used to be the case. When I used the road in 1996, passengers were expected to help manhandle the bridges, and for long stretches the paddy fields were more easily passable for vehicles than the "road".

However, the road has been fine for a few years now.

The road to Poipet during the dry season in 2004...

13170318_10fa86e3a8.jpg

But that's history:

But May 3, 2009 marked a milestone in Southeast Asian travel history as they laid the final few meters of asphalt thus completing the road [between Poipet and Siem Reap]

ToA

Archived