Former Mrs. Hippie...

Old Hippie

One thing that I can't understand is why she is seemingly absorbed with the idea that the guy get a job. If he's in financial straits or she has to work to support their lifestyle, I could understand. But why should the guy have to work just to satisfy her? Under the circumstances such as described, where is the "dahm chai" so famously Thai?

HH

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the guy was playing the big shot in LOS, he must have bought her and the family many things. Things like jewelry, clothes, car, and maybe a house.

Maybe he was a control freak that wanted to isolate her. Or maybe he got tired of incessant demands from the family for money. :dunno:

Sad story OH, granted we (board members) are only seeing it from one side, but it's not far fetched at all. If she is on the level then I hope things work out for her. I can't help thinking one thing though, are you hoping to "White Knight" on this one a little? Totally understandable if you are, one doesn't ever get over some relationships; we're all human after all, no matter what bravado we display in our online personas. Shoot, I know of a couple of former "Mrs. Boomah's" I'd like to see again... Amazingly theyâ??re all are still married & happy as far as I can tell. Regardless, good luck to the both of you; I hope the best for all involved. Iâ??d just be cautious about getting too embroiled in her affairs, just seems too iffy these daysâ?¦ Purely IMHO.

Ahui hou :beer:

I've heard of several tales like this...a lot of farangs fall for a girl, claim to have money...don't.....it goes sour. Sad that everything boils down to finances, but it is said to be the number one cause of problems in relationships amongst couples in the west, not just farang-thai relationships.

Money makes the world go round....etc etc ad nauseum.

Faustian, you've nailed it - it IS all about money, and the sooner we get that through our thick heads, the better. I'm not saying you give your partner 2K baht every morning, but when the bills come in, be she Farang or Thai, its a rare woman indeed who wont be looking for the man in the relationship to open his wallet ...

To the Thais, I really believe that love equals money : if you love your parents, you send them money, and they love you in return. Unless, of course, you are male, then you simply spend your life getting hammered on Thai whiskey while inseminating as many dumb country girls as possible. Leave them with a kid and an attitude which says 'my family are the only people who really care about me - the rest are a meal ticket and nothing else - no man will ever break my heart again'. And thats pretty much where we come in.

Gobble

After a set time' date=' she can file for abandonment, going by what she says...[/quote']

How so when it was her decision to leave?

Simple, she went back to Thailand, he didn't follow, so he abandoned her...or so she and a few others have said. I don't think he is really going to contest it.

* Hugh_Hoy Said:

One thing that I can't understand is why she is seemingly absorbed with the idea that the guy get a job. If he's in financial straits or she has to work to support their lifestyle, I could understand. But why should the guy have to work just to satisfy her? Under the circumstances such as described, where is the "dahm chai" so famously Thai?

HH

Because his excuse for not making good on his promises is that he has no money...because he isn't working...he has the money, but I think is either cheap, or was being overly careful.

Faustian:

"I've heard of several tales like this...a lot of farangs fall for a girl, claim to have money...don't.....it goes sour. Sad that everything boils down to finances, but it is said to be the number one cause of problems in relationships amongst couples in the west, not just farang-thai relationships.

Money makes the world go round....etc etc ad nauseum. "

What you say is very true. But in this case, he does indeed have money.

Boomha:

"...I can't help thinking one thing though, are you hoping to "White Knight" on this one a little?..."

No, not at all, as I said, we are close friends.

If the guy was playing the big shot in LOS, he must have bought her and the family many things. Things like jewelry, clothes, car, and maybe a house.

Maybe he was a control freak that wanted to isolate her. Or maybe he got tired of incessant demands from the family for money. :dunno:

That is the problem, he didn't buy her much at all, and was even bitchy about the cost of the wedding party (about $1000usd) yet in the states, he can blow $400+ on dinner... Everything else was always, "...later, after the wedding..." then the excuse of "...well we need to save money, I can't afford it..." then he'd go and play golf, or buy himself something.

I mean his logic makes the following sense "...I want something, o.k. because I earned the money, and it is for me. My wife wants something, and it is too expensive, she can buy cheaper, because she has less than me, and is less than me..." I get that from talking to him on many issues...as I said, not really a bad guy, just a bit arrogant.

He could have possibly been playing it careful here, waiting to see how it went before he shelled out, but I tend to think he is just being cheap here, and reneging on the promises he made.

Has she consulted with a lawyer? Things might not be as bad as it looks.

Absolutely!!

As Old Hippie mentioned, they were also married in California (San Diego). The gal now has the power of the Calif courts and claiming mental anguish and cruelty she has solid legs to stand on and would likely do well in a divorce settlement. Of course this is based on _her_ version of their relationship....we don't know his side of the story.

But, if she signed a pre-nup it can get dicey.

If her version is valid, there are numerous good divorce lawyers that would handle the case on a contingency basis [no cost to her unless settlement is in her favor]. She'd be a fool not to pursue a California divorce...unless there are things in her past that put her in an unfavorable light.

Archived