Computer games...?

Old Hippie

"I'd say that since we are discussing the future of online gaming a statement that the number of new online companies forming in China is dropping is certainly relevant."

It is if you put it in context. If you don't say that it's related to China then you give it the appearance of being world wide (whether intentional or not).

"There is no fee for online games on the Xbox. As far as I know, you pay a fee for accessing the Xbox network, which is more than just online gaming."

Incorrect. Enless you are technically savvy and connect through a PC with software which will trick the xbox to thinking it's on a LAN, you have to pay for the subscription to play online.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"It is if you put it in context. If you don't say that it's related to China then you give it the appearance of being world wide (whether intentional or not)."

Ok, fair enough.

"Enless you are technically savvy and connect through a PC with software which will trick the xbox to thinking it's on a LAN, you have to pay for the subscription to play online."

Sorry, what I meant was that the fee is for the XBox live network subscription, it is not a fee for paying games per se.

Anyway, let's try it another way. Four years ago WoW was launched and in the last four years it has grown to 10M subscribers. However, as far as I know there have been no other subscription based online games that are even close to its numbers. So, to me that shows that WoW is a fantastic game with a HUGE following, but it does NOT show that online subscription based gaming is huge.

For the latter there should have been at least a couple of new games appear during the last year or so that are beginning to rival WoW in numbers.

Sanuk!

"Sorry, what I meant was that the fee is for the XBox live network subscription, it is not a fee for paying games per se."

It doesn't have to be per game. Re-read what I've been saying this whole time. It's the matter of having to pay any type of fee besides the 1 time box price.

Once you understand that then you can stop focusing on WoW and realize there is more then just monthly based per game subscriptions. I believe I even mentioned some of the other types before (and they are not as easy to track).

To play an xbox game on the internet, you must pay for xbox live. It's another form of subscription based charging even if it isn't 1 game.

There are many forms of pay to play online games.

Here are some examples:

Service based(pay a fee to access multiple games such as XBOX LIVE), per month game based(Such as WOW), in-game enhancement based(Gunbound, Conquer online), ingame to play based (Magic: the Gathering Online), ingame currency based(Second life??, Project Entropia)

Hi,

"To play an xbox game on the internet, you must pay for xbox live."

Yes, but paying for Xbox live doesn't mean you will be playing online. The service also allows you to download demo, patches and upgrades.

I understand what you are saying though, I just don't agree that 'online games that you pay for are the future in gaming' :)

Anyway, as I think we are probably the only 2 people still reading this thread and are unlikely to convince the other of our viewpoint, let's just call it quits. Okay?

Sanuk!

Archived