Computer games...?

Old Hippie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games where you can get a single person to pay hundreds of dollars a month IS the next generation game type.

It's a legal way for companies to discriminate how much people pay by who has more money/less time to earn stuff ingame/more addiction.

It's the same basic economic concept as grocery coupons, multi-tier pricing on airline tickets, and places in Thailand chargining foreigners 10x as much for park admission.

It's taking advantage of what other game companies neglect (and what players often do anyway on ebay or other selling sites). Though this could be for legal reasons which none of the big companies are willing to take a risky investment into.

Working for a game company as a test lead does not mean you know all competing or upcoming game companys.

If you really knew so much about games, the title Gunbound should come as no surprise since it's pretty popular among the next generation gamers (estimating age 12-16ish)

Weird...

Test lead?

Yes sure, if I was 22 years old maybe I could have accepted such a low paid position.

They have a good time, not paid decently but can play games all day.

Unfortunately for me, I earn quite a bit more and I can not play all day.

Of course I do not know everything about videogames and videogames companies.

Of course videogames companies dream that customers would pay hundreds of $/month in games or MMORPG but except for a minority of addicts this is not the case.

Gunbound: Until recently I never heard of it and it really is nothing to talk about especially as it is free...and full of cheaters.

If you really knew so much about videogames, popularity does not mean rentability.

If you are looking for really popular and money-making games thenlook at Japan/Korea/China.

Anyway: The point was online games so this is a very small market which does not change much in term of number of customers.

By the way: My company does not (big mistake for them) have a real online presence.

Your "theory" about customers spending big bucks online has been proved wrong.

Did you study marketing at university or sociology?

Then the results of the (numerous) surveys taken for the "online community" speak for themselves.

Only a minority is ready to spend a lot online and most usually to buy "illegal stuff such as online money, equipment, power level etc...".

The vast majority of online gamers are in the 20-30 years old branch and are rather difficult to satisfy, most of them are very critical consumers.

The "paying online community" is already a kind of "elite" economicaly speaking, because they are the only ones having the time, money to spend monthly, wealth to buy the equipment to play.

So, your view that people could spend big bucks are wrong.

Sure, this is the dream of many videogame companies having a MMORPG online but this is just a dream.

Weird...

Test lead?

Yes sure, if I was 22 years old maybe I could have accepted such a low paid position.

You said yourself before in a previous post that you led a team of tester.

Like side businesses in Thailand?

Of course videogames companies dream that customers would pay hundreds of $/month in games or MMORPG but except for a minority of addicts this is not the case.

There are ALOT more then you think.

Gunbound: Until recently I never heard of it and it really is nothing to talk about especially as it is free...and full of cheaters.

Every game has cheaters, and it's free to play.. too an extent. But since you know nothing about the game it is still humours to hear you talk about it.

If you really knew so much about videogames, popularity does not mean rentability.

then contradict yourself by equating the two together in your very next sentence.

If you are looking for really popular and money-making games thenlook at Japan/Korea/China.

Anyway: The point was online games so this is a very small market which does not change much in term of number of customers.

Online games is not a small market. Ask Blizzard, the real leading game company.

By the way: My company does not (big mistake for them) have a real online presence.

It's not a theory that people spend a lot of money online. You have to be blind if you think that.

Then the results of the (numerous) surveys taken for the "online community" speak for themselves.

Which "online community" and surveys are you referring too? Please feel free to provide references if you are going to make such bogus claims.

Only a minority is ready to spend a lot online and most usually to buy "illegal stuff such as online money, equipment, power level etc...".

Illegal stuff? Learn to read. I said game companies were not taking advantage of selling it themselves and instead players are doing it on ebay. Though there are some smaller game companies doing it and they are the ones to watch out for ;)

The vast majority of online gamers are in the 20-30 years old branch and are rather difficult to satisfy, most of them are very critical consumers.

Yeah, and a good majority are in college and willing to spend their money like it's falling off trees even though they don't have much. And there are tons of little kids running around with mommy and daddys credit card under your guess of an age range.

The "paying online community" is already a kind of "elite" economicaly speaking, because they are the only ones having the time, money to spend monthly, wealth to buy the equipment to play.

No they aren't. $14 a month is CHEAPER then paying $50 every couple weeks for a new game.

People do, and you believing they don't won't change that fact.

Sure, this is the dream of many videogame companies having a MMORPG online but this is just a dream.

It's only a dream if you can't open your eyes and make it a reality.

Weird...

Test lead?

You said yourself before in a previous post that you led a team of tester.

[color:red]Obivously you do not know the industry despite pretending you know it.

There are more than just testers in my department.

Anywy, a test lead earns a meager 26K euros gross/year, I am not ready to work for a pittance here.[/color]

[color:red]

What do you mean? If you want to start this personaly then I will happily follow you on this ground.

I just have to warn you that if you start to uncover "real life" facts then I will do my best to retort.[/color]

There are ALOT more then you think.

[color:red]Yes, sure, come with fact and data, please.

I have all kind of surveys etc...under my eyes every day coming either from videogame websites or from the sales & marketing department and 90% of these surveys are rubbish...[/color]

Every game has cheaters, and it's free to play.. too an extent. But since you know nothing about the game it is still humours to hear you talk about it.

Every game has cheaters? Wow, what a dumb statement. Next time learn about a sector and its specificities before coming with such claims.

The other part of your statement is a nonsense.

Until recently I did not know the game but spent a bit of my time learning about it.

[color:red]You have fun in the sandbox weird? Your statement sounds like the illogical sentence coming from a first year university student at a "logic" course.

-> read your sentence again.[/color]

then contradict yourself by equating the two together in your very next sentence.

Yes, sure, read most of your own sentences then come forward to talk about [color:red]"logic, argumentation and contradiction", I suppose you did not have such courses if you went at university?[/color]

Online games is not a small market. Ask Blizzard, the real leading game company.

[color:red]

The dumbest of your statement, same kind of thing many young testers say.

Blizzard = A very talented company with a great idea and the guts (and means) to achieve it.

Will they still exist in a few years? I do not know but one thing is sure, what you say is what most geeks/fans say about blizzard.

A one-time big success does not make a successful company. [/color]

It's not a theory that people spend a lot of money online. You have to be blind if you think that.

Which "online community" and surveys are you referring too? Please feel free to provide references if you are going to make such bogus claims.

[color:red]"My plane is taking off in a few hours thus I do not have time to compile everything coming either from online surveys, sales & marketing, university studies etc.."[/color]

Illegal stuff? Learn to read. I said game companies were not taking advantage of selling it themselves and instead players are doing it on ebay. Though there are some smaller game companies doing it and they are the ones to watch out for ;)

Yeah, and a good majority are in college and willing to spend their money like it's falling off trees even though they don't have much. And there are tons of little kids running around with mommy and daddys credit card under your guess of an age range.

No they aren't. $14 a month is CHEAPER then paying $50 every couple weeks for a new game.

People do, and you believing they don't won't change that fact.

It's only a dream if you can't open your eyes and make it a reality.

Weird: Under the appearance of being a polite and decently educated man you still behave like a 20 something guy....

You seem to have a problem so I am sorry that you feel the need to attack people like this.

Next time you want to criticize someone then take some more info before writting something, especially hard facts and not just "things you read somewhere" and making stupid claims.

-> the reference to Blizzard is really what one could expect from a 18 years old teenager...

One of the producers with whom I am working for is a big fan of WOW, the difference between you and him? He knows what he is talking about and can give figures, unlike you.

Hi,

What do you mean? If you want to start this personaly then I will happily follow you on this ground.

I just have to warn you that if you start to uncover "real life" facts then I will do my best to retort.

No guys, let's not get personal stuff into the discussion, okay?

Sanuk!

Where does an 11 yo get $100 every month?

Pose nude in Sydney..? :p

Watch it there' date=' little fella -- how would it sound if I accuse YOUR little ones of lewd acts for no reason? You need to learn some manners. Your coming up with such thought that borders on Pedaphilia is disturbing to say the least :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: [/quote']

I thought that was the funniest comment that Torneyboy has made in a long time. :thumbup:

You need to take a chill pill mate. :nono:

I'll end it here since Drogon likes to live blind and pretend to be something.

You've already said basically everything you know about me, which is nothing. Anything you attempt to say personal about me would just throw yourself infront of a bus.

In every post your only [removed - KS] response is that I'm a 20 something year old and therefore don't know anything. [removed - KS]

:)

Oh, btw

http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080122.html

You calculate how much a year that is. :)

Hi,

"http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080122.html

You calculate how much a year that is. "

Right, and then calculate how much their costs are for:

- ongoing support

- continuous ongoing development

- servers & bandwidth

- marketing / advertising

Basically what I am saying is there are NOT making 10M x $14.95 (?) profit a month.

What is the second most popular MMORPG btw, and how many subscribers does that have?

Sanuk!

Archived