Computer games...?

Old Hippie

Here's an old list (07). I don't know how accurate it is/was.

This isn't a list of paying games, just merely online games, since somebody made the wrong assumption that people don't play online games.

http://gigaom.com/2007/06/13/top-ten-most-popular-mmos/

The following is a link to active subscriber games:

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

With that said 1 new game just came out recently(I think maybe 1-2 months), AOC, which boasts 700k subscribers.

Warhammer is also another highly anticipated mmorpg predicted to come out toward the end of this year.

As for how much they actually make...

Yes, that's true, they don't make 14.95 * 10M. They also don't make chump change.

Marketing is very expensive BUT when you get to the point where Blizzard is, I'm pretty sure you probably don't have to pay premium $$ to stores to put your product on the shelf anymore (Unlike new companie titles).

Also Blizzard allows customers to buy the game online and skip the whole box/marketing aspect, which gamers are slowly converting over too.

As for bandwidth, yes, there is a lot used, which is why they also have p2p dl for getting the game and patchs.

Though when calculating costs of actual bandwidth used those 10 million subscribers won't all be on at the same time, or doing bandwidth heavy actions either.

Also for games of the future, it's pretty hard to stop your offline game from being stolen. Subscriber based online games though, good luck faking a credit card and getting busted for fraud.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Hmmm, those links seem to support Drogon's point more than yours. The chart shows WoW with a huge amount of users, but the number 2 is WAY behind that at ~10% of WoW's numbers.

The other link doesn't really support your claims either as numbers 2 - 6 are either not games and/or free. So, the next MMORPG has 2million users (20% of WoW).

Basically, what I am saying is that those links show that WoW is not a good indication of the overall market as it is far ahead of the rest of the MMORPG market.

And seriously a few million players isn't that uncommon when looking at offline games. Just look here or here, some of the games far surpass the 10M from WoW. Never mind looking at it by franchise (the Mario franchise for instance has sold 200M copies!).

"Also for games of the future, it's pretty hard to stop your offline game from being stolen. Subscriber based online games though, good luck faking a credit card and getting busted for fraud."

Fair point here. And I think this is the reason a lot of publisher want to go online. Whether or not they are succeeding is a different issue though.

Sanuk!

Many publishers want to go online because it is seen as the new golden gate...

Unfortunately: MMORPG are a whole separate niche and many studios went bankrupt trying to get some market shares.

MMORPG have for various economical and sociological reasons a limited audience.

From a player point of view: The biggest problem is to spend a lot of time on a game trying to level.

Hence for studios the problem is the following:

- The level progression is too fast thus many hardcore MMORPG players are quickly bored and switch game.

- The level progression is long and requires a lot of time (except for the ones from the parallel economy who "buy" their levels)

The economy of MMORPG:

- Only CC holders can access them which makes this market pretty limited (so many children/teenagers playing online free games such as CS do not have CC nor their parents -> see Chinese market for example)

- Economy also plays a role in the fact that in order to play these games people need the spending power to upgrade their computers.

More and more games try to be attractive using the latest technologies -> not anyone can afford to upgrade his computer regularly

The MMORPG market is limited and only grows slowly due to these economic reasons and the fact that for sociological reasons the market audience does not grow fast.

The sad truth is that many major videogame studios still study "projects for a new MMORPG" but very few see the light.

Blizzard got lucky as well as DAOC and a few others because they got the "right recipe".

Many others tried their hand and failed because the MMORPG community is unforgivable

(see Lucasart big mistake with star wars galaxies).

This is also why some game masters in my department are paid so well.

There are many more things to say about MMORPG dynamics but I do not have the time for this.

weird, you can believe whatever you want.

Me I prefer to trust the fact that many producers in my company agree with my views about MMORPG and the future possibilities of this market.

(and they all worked for the major videogame companies)

Every studio/company coming with a great idea, being able to develop it and managing it once released will succeed in MMORPG, just that such a big catch seldom comes to live.

And seriously a few million players isn't that uncommon when looking at offline games. Just look here or here, some of the games far surpass the 10M from WoW. Never mind looking at it by franchise (the Mario franchise for instance has sold 200M copies!).

Those games don't charge monthly. That's over 10M copies sold not including those that have cancelled their subscriptions and don't play it anymore.

Also quoting all the mario games together is what you call an apples and oranges comparison.

Hi,

I know they don't charge monthly. Your point seemed to be showing how popular MMORPGs are by mentioning the numbers of WoW, which is why I countered with some numbers of offline games to show that 10M really isn't all that spectacular.

To me the numbers show that while WoW *is* popular the MMORPG genre as a whole isn't.

"Also quoting all the mario games together is what you call an apples and oranges comparison."

Up to a point. WoW is constantly being added to as well, so in that respect you could see it as multiple 'games' or at least versions of the same game.

But anyway, if it is numbers for single versions you want then try these:

Super Mario Bros (NES) - 40 million

Tetris (Gameboy) - 33 million

Wii Sports (Wii) - 21.56 million

Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Gameboy) - 20 million

Super Mario World (SNES) - 20 million

Nintendogs (DS) - 18.67 million

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) - 18 million

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) - 17.5 million

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS) 14.77 million

Sanuk!

khunsanuk, my point was that online games that you pay for are the future in gaming. If you want to compare the current MMORPGS, then do it against current games.

Out of your examples you have just these left:

Nintendogs (DS) - 18.67 million

Wii Sports (Wii) - 21.56 million

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS) 14.77 million

There's no point in trying to compare over a decade worth of offline games when I'm talking about current trends.

Look at the numbers of the older offline games (hitting 30-40 million) and the newer ones (peaking around 20 million).

As of right now for handheld systems(DS) there is no real market 'yet' for online games, but it will come eventually. Once the whole digital wireless phone change comes about I predict it taking off pretty quickly.

Comparing stationary systems you're left with only Wii Sports (Wii) - 21.56 million.

I'm assuming you picked the highest numbers to support your view. I didn't double check them.

There are a number of factors now, that weren't available before. Which is why you have to compare the current trends.

One being internet availability. A lot more people have connections, and faster ones at that, then they did 10 years ago.

Another is the introduction of game cards, which let's people play without needing a credit card.

And perhaps one of the biggest factors, directly corresponding with the above 2, is the mass influx of Asian gamers.

Hi,

"my point was that online games that you pay for are the future in gaming"

I know and I disagree. You are basing all of this on WoW it seems as that is (from looking at your links) the only really successful game.

"Look at the numbers of the older offline games (hitting 30-40 million) and the newer ones (peaking around 20 million)."

I think this is partially due to a much larger variety nowadays.

"Out of your examples you have just these left:"

Could give you plenty more examples of games in the 10M+ range if you want :)

Sanuk!

Hi,

Sure, here you go:

The Sims (50 million, 70 million including expansions)

The Sims 2 (13 million)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (17.5 million)

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (14.89 million shipped)

Grand Theft Auto III (14.5 million)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)

Gran Turismo 4 (10.06 million shipped)

Nintendogs (18.67 million)

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (14.77 million)

New Super Mario Bros. (14.16 million)

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (12.98 million)

Mario Kart DS (10.45 million)

Wii Sports (21.56 million)

Wii Play (11.51 million)

Now, could you list a few more online (paid!) games that are in the same range?

Sanuk!

Archived