Vista sucks!

Old Hippie

All the PC manufacturers allow for a 30 day (at least) return policy. Time to send that turkey back OH!

I bought it at a place called best buys, and they have a 15 day window for return...and, I'd have to pay 15% restocking fee...which I may just bite it and do...after a fight of course...HP is involved...so I am hoping for the best. I am sure there is some sort of remedy, especially if the machine is fucked up. From what have read, Vista has a lot of issues...with Mozilla, and what not.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will exchange it...of course, should I bitch enough, they make make exception. Frankly, I love the machine *WHEN* it works right, fast, nice features etc, but this quirky shit is pissing me off...oh, did I mention it took 25+ minutes to shut down? and 15+ minutes before it started running, and I could actually use it? Usually, it takes maybe 1-2 minutes to start up, and 1 min or so to shut down...

HP swears they are going to help me with this, and some guy from the "office" is supposed to call tomorrow...the store says to bring it in and they'll check it...but with intermittent problems, who knows...

Oh, also forgot to mention, there are NO available drivers for my scanner, and my web cam, so they will have to be replaced at some point.

So what is the take on VISTA from you guys in the know? I keep reading bad shit about it...similar to Millennium and the like.

Have to agree on the Apple option (and you get full online support courtesy of yours truly).

My old iBook, never crashed in over 2 years of continuous 24/7 use...the only reason I don't use it now is I got a new Macbook pro...which I use 24/7 and has never crashed. Expensive, sure, (UK 1,700 pounds) but it just works and I don't have to worry about silly stuff like viruses.

I had a Toshiba PC...I gave it to a friend for free. I think he was grateful....?

OH,

the problems you have must not be caused by Vista. It also could be because of faulty RAM for example or the PC might have caught a virus...

Anyway, your system seems to be completely fucked.

IMHO there are two solutions:

a.) expensive, but without much trouble and even less trouble in the future

b.) cheap, but you'll have to invest a lot of time and you'll have to learn about setting up and securing a system.

a.) Copy all your data to an external hard drive and check the drive if all data are there _and_ accessible.

Return your PC to Bestbuy and buy an 24" iMac. It is a beautiful and powerful machine.

Apple PC's are much easier to use (after a few days when you'll need to learn about the new OS) and are much more pleasant to work with. Also the iMac will cause much less trouble, it is more secure and it lasts longer than a PC.

The iMac will run perfectly without any additional tweaks like installing a second partition, running security software constantly and running maintenance software every few weeks.

The downside: an iMac is more expensive than a PC and there are less games available for Macs.

b.) This is a weekend project: a new, clean install of Vista:

Install a Partition Manager and install a second partition (D:) and move *all* data to D:, also copy all data to an external hard drive (make sure you do both!!!!)

Do a clean install of Vista on C: (including "format C:" while installing Vista)

Install a good virus scanner like AVG

Install the rest of the software needed

Install a good backup software: backup Vista to an external HDD. (The next time Vista crashes you just move your Vista backup to C:.)

If you are not sure what I am talking about find a computer geek who should do it for you.

And you still have trouble aftewards, it is the hardware...

Hope that helps...

OH:

Doesn't Best Buy offer Tech Support? Take it to them. If they can't get it to run, then they should replace it on the spot. If they can't fix it, they could try another identical computer / software setup. If that doesn't work, exchange the hardware for a different brand.

If they do have tech support, and they say "it's ready to pick up", when you go there, YOU boot it up, and YOU (not them) start clicking away--right in front of them. If it doesn't boot up promptly, gives you any trouble, etc...you can give 'em the hairy eyeball. At that point they ought to offer you a different hardware system.

Good luck. I just hate this kinda shit, too.

Computers and complex and are tricky.

P. S. Oh! and BACKUP and data onto something else BEFORE you do anything else.

I just bought a new HP dv9000 with Vista home premium. After using XP for years Vista took some getting used to.

The only problem I have had is a few compatability problems with some older software. As far as video audio picture management it kicks serious ass no problems at all. vista works well with Office 2007 also.

you my have got a bad computer???

Hi,

"and, I'd have to pay 15% restocking fee"

What? You mean they won't give you the full amount back? That sucks!

Sanuk!

Some 5 years ago, I PAID CASH FOR a pair of arch supports at a shoe store, can't remember the name of the store. It was "Just for Feet", or "Foot Locker", or something like that. I wore 'em 5 minutes and was in severe pain.

I took them back to the store WITH the receipt, and the cashier says, "You'll get your refund check in about 6 weeks." I pointed out that I paid cash, and he said it was "store policy". They don't refund cash no matter what. I got the manager over there, I looked squarely in his eyes and VERY slowly said, "If you don't give me my cash back right now, I will make you pay. I will give you so much grief that it won't be worth it to you. I don't care if I go to jail.".

My cash was promptly refunded.

Archived