Vista sucks!

Old Hippie

As of right now, it seems sorted...no ideas why or what the issue is/was. HP is sending me some recovery disks, and has advised me to "recover the system." I may skip it until it acts up again...they said if the problem continues, they will just replace the computer, which frankly I'd prefer, especially since I don't want to keep loading my software into it...

And, of course, and it's only human nature; you'll never trust it again.

And why should you?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would second AVG antivirus. Just get the free version.

When I bought my dv9000, I had to delete all the shit I didn't want, either because it was just shit (eg Norton AV) or because it was going to stop working if I didn't pay up (eg MS Office). There are adequate free substitutes for all these things.

I also run Linux, but in VMWare.

Barry,

Respect to you Sir, dv9000 HP laptop running Linux, getting close to perfection, the wife has my old dv9000 now I am using Pavillion dv9500.

It runs OK on Vista but I prefer to boot it up running Linux 7.10 (Unbubtu Gutsy Gibbon) but I am playing with 8.04 Hardy Heron on another machine. Yes I am a geek who tests drives beta OS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3 Vista machines - gave one away for barter work - now down to two - one laptop (Toshiba) and one desktop (Dell).

I haven't encountered any problems with any of them.

I'll eat my words though. I think XP is better.

If I were to order a new one again, I would take the XP option.

Archived