must buy books

I live in Taiwan where it is impossible to get decent books (unless you are looking for Dickens, Twain or some other author who has been dead for 100 years). Are there any book stores in Bangkok that has a selection of books that would rival or come close to rivaling the selection in a U.S. or English books store (i.e. Barnes and Noble or something?)?

Not sure about Barnes & Noble (didn't they play up front for Liverpool?) but some of BKK's bigger book stores in order of size are:

DK Books, Seacon Square, near Bangna-Trat Road - bit far out but one of the biggest book shops in SE Asia I believe

Chula Uni Book Store, Siam Square, next to British Council

Kasetsart Uni Book Store, Phahonyothin Road - bit far out too

Kinokayu, Emporium

Many branches of Asia Books but their books are more expensive than elsewhere

The above have quite a good selection of fiction and of course those 75 baht classics by Dickens, Twain etc.

[any book stores in Bangkok that has a selection of books that would rival or come close to rivaling the selection in a U.S. or English books store /QUOTE]

only Kinokuniya in Emporium, and maybe the main shop af Asia Books near Sukhumvit Soi 15

but the branch of Eslite in Tunhua S Rd (and the one opposite National Taiwan University on Hsinsheng S Rd) in Taipei is almost as good

BTW do you know Bookmans (upstairs from the McDonalds opposite NTU), LaiLai (on Roosevelt Rd between Hsinsheng S Rd and Hsinhai Rd, on the same side as Starbucks, 4th floor with sign on the road), Shuangye (on the southern Side of Roosevelt Rd near the exit of the underpass from NTU, second floor) - English language bookstores catering to the academic community - and Caves on Chungshan N Rd between Minsheng E Rd and Minchuan E Rd?

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: iuytrede ]

Thanks for the replies.

I have looked at Eslite. Their selection is truly horrible. I am nore of a contempory fiction kinda guy... Amis, Leyner, David Foster Wallace. Eslite has a el zilcho when it comes to that kinda thing.

I will have a peak at the other places though... thanks.

Archived