Qantas flight plunges 20000 feet as door pops

Torneyboy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it dropped from cruising altitude to under 10k feet. That's SOP for a cabin depressurization. You can breathe at 10k feet...

Doesn't make it any less frightening for those on board tho'.

Cheers,

SD

Not surprising something like this happened seeing the way QF run their aircraft into the ground these days. :shakehead

Their maintainance is getting slacker and slacker in their quest to cut costs.

If you have a look at their international flight departures (ex-Sydney) page on their website, its just delay, after delay, after delay these days.

Nowhere near the airline they used to be.

The ABC reports Melbourne woman Dr June Kane saw a ''gaping hole'' in the fuselage.

"I'm looking at the plane now and on the left hand side, just forward of the wing, there's a gaping hole from the wing to the underbody," she told the ABC.

"It's about two metres by four metres and there's baggage hanging out so you assume that there's a few bags that may have gone missing."

Lucky no passengers went missing ...

The ABC reports Melbourne woman Dr June Kane saw a ''gaping hole'' in the fuselage.

Not to worry, "gaping holes" are common in Manila. :neener: (I'm mimicking you)

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder about Qantas resting on their laurels lately. They keep having these "incidents", but no fatalities. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear the voice of an Aussie coming from the cockpit of any airline, but I'm with MoiNoi on questioning the maintenance.

Maybe Qantas stands for: Quiet Accidents Not Talked About Seriously. :dunno:

PS. Just made that up. Possibly similar to something I've heard.

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder about Qantas resting on their laurels lately. They keep having these "incidents", but no fatalities. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear the voice of an Aussie coming from the cockpit of any airline, but I'm with MoiNoi on questioning the maintenance.

A cargo door failure sounds more probable than a passenger door, do to the design. When the cabin is pressurized the pax cmpt door cannot fail in that way, nor can it be opened.

But are there cargo doors on the LH side of a 747?

Cheers,

SD

Archived