Any Salsa Makers Out There?

Julian2

I was doing the rounds in Chiang Rai yesterday and picked up a couple of bags of corn chips at one of the wholesalers.

I make a reasonable salsa dip but it's often pretty hit and miss. Depends on whats available.

Peel tomatoes, throw into blender.

Followed by spring (green) onions roughly chopped.

Fresh garlic and coriander.

Salt and sugar to tasted then fresh lime juice.

Add chopped and seeded fresh chilli pepper until it starts to smoke a little.

This time half a frozen red capsicum went into it along with a little tomato paste to add some color.

Give it a good wizz then let stand in the fridge for flavors to blend.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one of my favs, Baja Salsa:

10 large tomatoes for grilling

4 fresh jalepenos (adjust amount for heat, 4 will be nice & zippy)

Juice of 1/2 lime

1/2 large onion

3 large fresh garlic cloves

Chicken broth

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped

1 fresh tomato finely diced

Salt to taste

Slice 10 large tomatoes in half and place halves skin down on a grill liner on a gas grill. Roast at highest flame for 1 1/2 hours. Roast peppers for last 1/2 hour to blacken. Do not roast the garlic.

Put blackened tomato (now in black crisp form), peppers, garlic, lime juice, onion, oil, some salt, and a small amount of the chicken broth in a food processor and puree.

Transfer to a bowl. Add the fresh diced tomato and cilantro and mix with a spoon. Mix in chicken broth little by little until desired consistency is reached. Add more salt to taste.

Cheers,

SD

Spicy Salsa...

3 cups chopped roma tomatoes

1 cup chopped red onion

4 green onions chopped

1 bunch cilantro finely chopped

6 habanero peppers chopped ..little hot

juice of 3 limes

juice of 1 orange

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon black pepper

2 teaspoons Kosher salt

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 cup Heinz catsup

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate about an hour before serving. Note..DO NOT scratch yourself after chopping the habaneros. :)

The hottest peppers in Thailand would be the ordinary Thai chili, that is unless you could find Bhut Jolokia peppers in an Indian food store. Be aware tho that Jolokia registers some 1,000,000 Scoville units of heat. Scoville units are the measure of capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers hot. Habaneros measure about 100,000-300,000 scoville units, the Thai pepper about 50,000-100,000 units. and the lowly jalapeno only 10,000 units. Any pepper measuring 200,000 + scoville units should be handled with extreme care. Usually disposable gloves as the amount of capsaicin found in the hottest peppers can cause blistering of you hands, not to mention the damage to your asshole the day after you eat them. :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Kewl. I got it from a friend in the States a year ago, looked just like that.

Still adjusting to make it perfect, tho' it is nice now. Next step is to change chilis (likely a couple of habaneros, but impossible to finds in LoS, so have to improvise). Thai chilis just don't have that nice of flavour to me. Maybe some ground cilantro seed too.

Cheers,

SD

What are the best options for peppers available in Thailand?

There's quite a range of chilis in the local markets. I used some quite large ones that were still hot.

The hottest are reputed to be the mouse shit chili, prik kee nuu?

They are the little tiny ones, often sold green.

Archived