A TIT Moment at a "Crazy" Pub (a somewhat long post)

CDN

The other night I walked back to my hotel after barhopping along Walking Street and I had one of those TIT moments that make you want to rip out your hair.

It was a bit after midnight. I hadn't eaten anything since brunch and I felt hungry, so I decided to check out a certain "crazy" pub owned by a man who's name is, I think, Dave. The place was open and I decided to order take-out: one ham and cheese sandwich and one bacon sandwich.

The menu listed ham and cheese sandwiches in the lunch section, and bacon sandwiches in the breakfast section. The lunch section had a footnote offering toasted or untoasted bread for sandwiches, but the breakfast section did not.

Silly me, I prefer my sandwiches toasted.

And so it began.

I asked the waitress if I could have my ham and cheese sandwich made toasted, and she said yes. I then went on to explain that it was the sandwich bread that I wanted toasted and that I was not asking for a side-order of toast. (I learned that lesson at a different shop two nights earlier. :banghead:)

When I then asked for the bacon sandwich to come toasted, just like the ham and cheese sandwich, the waitress's face underwent that subtle shift in expression that many Thais get when something doesn't click. She said she would have to check with the kitchen to see if my order was possible.

Inside, I was already screaming, but I kept my face still. I hoped that this time things would be different.

Out she popped from the kitchen and walked back to me. I scanned her face for some hint of the answer. I saw no tension around her mouth or eyes and thought to myself, Great!

And then she spoke.

"Sorry, can not."

Inside, I kind of went *pffff*, like a deflating balloon. You should have known better, CDN, I thought to myself as I struggled to push down the surge of frustration building inside me and keep my expression neutral.

It's no big deal, I went on. Just go home and forget about it. But then I heard myself ask whether they did or did not have a toaster.

"Yes, have" she said.

"And you can make the ham and cheese sandwich with toasted bread but not the bacon sandwich?" The better part of me was unable to resist my furious incredulity.

To her credit, the young woman did seem apologetic when she repeated, "Sorry, can not."

Aaaaaaaaaahhhh! :cussing:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my daughter was about 7 years old and in a Singapore hotel, bored out of her mind, she colored an imaginary menu for an imaginary restaurant called "Fish Ball Palace", which consisted of only different variations of fish balls. This is when I got a clue she was getting tired of the local fare.

I remember one place which had ham cheese tomato sandwiches.

I asked could I have a cheese and Tomato - no ham

NO!

Errr - well - do you make the sandwiches her or are they made already?

We make here not made before!

Can you make one with out ham then?

OK -But you have to pay extra!

ARGHHHHHH

Archived