U.S. Dollar on a roll

FreeTime

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expect the USD to continue to get stronger, fast.

Not sure about that. I've been bullish on the dollar for a while now but once it gets to the stage where normal people start talking about it... I start thinking again.

I always said that the US woes were overstated compared to the EU and the UK and it's got to a temporary period where people are agreeing. There's got to be a pullback soon though. It's too fast.

Stickman, how do you feel now? Dollar still going to 25/30B, is it? :)

The USD, is getting stronger fast, 7 to 10% +, in the last 30 days, against most major currencies. Friday the 8th, it had it's biggest one day change in 8 years.

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYBOT_DX& ;v=d6&a...

Example: AUD was 98 Even, mid day a month ago, now 86.6 to $1.

http://www.fxstreet.com/rates-charts/forex-ra tes/

Expect the USD to continue to get stronger, fast.

Why do you think the $ will get stronger, fast?

I live in Thailand and receive a pension from the US. So, a year or so ago, I moved my savings to Thailand. This way, I don't have to worry. If the baht is strong, I will live off my savings. If the $ is strong, I will live off my US pension.

But, I am retired and bored. So, I just signed up for one of the free 30 day Forex trading accounts. I have an MBA and an analytical background and thought it might keep my brain cells going and might be fun. I wouldn't use a significant amount of my money, just play around a bit. I thought I might be able to work the baht and $ a bit to my advantage and I thought I would also throw into my analysis Canada and Australia.

I would welcome any thoughts on my intentions as it seems you are likely involved in the Forex market.

Thanks

"Why do you think the $ will get stronger, fast?"

Hmmm, I like you, also retired. Also a bored existence, I spend considerable time (4+ hours a day), collecting business related information.

I am an American, but I do not confuse flag waving with investing. If you asked the same question, last November you would know, I was of an opposite opinion, in regards to the USD, at that time.

If you had time, to read, my posts on the forum:

http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/527686/post/692088/hl//fromsearch/1/#692088

At the time of that posting, my opinion, of today, was being formulated. Remaining 90%+ plus the same today.

One point I want to make, be careful of the baht, for investing the Bank of Thailand, has been playing around, pegging the baht to a range onshore 33 to 33.25, over the last few months. Not even taking notice of the sharp increase in the USD index. I guess this was done to stop currency speculation.

http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/527739/post/692965/hl//fromsearch/1/#692965

Now, that being said, maybe you know, if not controlled, generally the offshore rate, is a bit higher, by about .4 baht. NOW, just yesterday (Friday) in Thailand, as reported, in the post above, by other posters it has gone haywire. Reported 34 and 34.6 exchange, I am not in Thailand, at this time to know first hand.

Offshore Rate:

Live rates at 2008.08.16 16:09:51 UTC

Notice: The THB rate shown below is the international rate. Rates used within Thailand may vary.

1.00 USD = 33.7875 THB

United States Dollars Thailand Baht

1 USD = 33.7875 THB 1 THB = 0.0295967 USD

Is this a signal, of a currency disconnect, not sure?

Reported 34 and 34.6 exchange, I am not in Thailand, at this time to know first hand.

Not getting that on the street. The rates I saw today at ForEx booths ranged from 33.46 - 33.58. I got 33.41 on my ATM card today and 33.62 on the 14th.

Cheers,

SD

Archived