suggestions for Manila by night and by day?

lifesabeach

No idea ... just know I was flying Cathay.

The worst was immigration, with the 90 minute wait and limited aircon and no air flow. The smell was brutal and the wait interminable. A-hole immigration agents were in no hurry at all to step up the pace.

I thought the ultimate insult was paying the 1000 pesos (or whatever it was) ... and waiting 20 minutes in line to do it ... for the privilege of using their crappy third world airport.

It was much worse arriving there in the early 80s. The humidity, the stench, the jeepneys, the touts, the mass of humanity...you really knew you'd "arrived" once you stepped outside the terminal.

I have no complaints about Manila though. It has always been a fun place to visit.

PS. A few years ago, I was using PAL often. There was this one queer check-in agent (and I'll bet other posters have encountered him because there weren't too many check-in agents) who always had the same line.

It goes like this, every time:

Him: How are you today?

Me: (presenting documents) Fine. How are you?

Him: Tired. Tired and handsome (with maybe a flick of the hair for effect). ;)

I was usually flying standby so I'd put up with this shit, thinking I'd have a better chance of getting a seat if I smiled or something.

We might need an OH ruling on my actions.

Well....I will have my boarding pass already, so that means one less line ..it's just a long layover...But, OK you convinced me, I will get back to the airport by 7:30pm...What time does that mean I must leave the LA cafe with the "Ooops, I did it again - fell in love" grin on my face?

By the way..what terminal do the International Philippine Air flights go in and out of..does it make a difference in terms of transit time?

Philippine Air International flights have just started (or are about to any day) fly out of the new terminal 3.

PR is actually a lot quicker than other airline check ins at the other terminal.As previously stated 3+ hours queuing is not unusual there.

I would recommend going to Air Force One which is a mix of gentlemens club, karaoke and massage venue which is not far from the airport. Much better than fighting your way across Manila to LA Cafe. However, I'm not sure what time the place opens.

Do a search on the web. I'll sure you'll find some info.

• 1 month later...

Replying to my own post...on a long layover it is very doable....it was about an hour to LA Cafe from the airport, picked out a cutie in an hour over a piss poor excuse for a pork chop (talent at 1 pm much better looking than at 1 am!) she took me to the Amazonia nearby where there are cheap rooms...had a nap afterward and headed back to the airport at 6:30 or so in about 30 minutes....entry to the boarding area was done in less than 30 min...remember you will already have a boarding pass, your baggage is already checked and you don't need to pay the airport tax...definitely worth the bit of stress it involves...

Archived