The Village Idiot Gets Shafted Again.

Julian2

I was walking the dog tonight and the Village Idiot's wife rushed out of her splendid two story house to say hello. She's an aging bargirl, well past her prime and rarely goes out of her way to say to say hello to me. The Village Idiot, at least twice her age, is in his home country at the moment; he spends six months of the year there and six months of the year in the village.

You never thought he was Thai did you?

I greeted her politely and she went into an exhausted semi-collapse. I love a good dramatic performanceâ?¦ especial by an expert, so I relaxed on my walking stick and waited to hear the glad tidings.

â??So tiredâ? she said, â??I stay hospital all dayâ?Â.

I said I was sorry she had been ill, and hoped for her speedy recovery.

â??Not me!â? she cried, sensing a little lack of cooperation here, â??My Mum, she stay hospital for operationâ?Â.

She made a slashing mark across her abdominal area.

â??Big operation!â?Â. Just incase I missed the severity of the procedure.

She rolled her eyes and sighed deeply, â??So expensive, one hundred twenty thousand bahtâ?Â.

I reacted as expected, keeping a straight face with difficulty. â??My god, Phin, that was expensive!â?Â

She sighed again, contentedly this time, â??So big operation, so expensiveâ?Â.

I offered my condolences and moved on, the dog was getting impatient, he has a low bargirl bullshit tolerance level as well. I couldnâ??t wait to get home and impart the tragic news to my good lady wife; who went into a coughing fit that was only relieved when I pounded her on the back and attempted to loosen her clothing. Well thatâ??s what they taught me in the ambulance cadets anyway.

â??She stay public hospital, four days, maybe twenty thousand bahtâ?Â. She thought for a minute, â??No, she old lady, government pay all but thirty bahtâ?Â.

Now it will be a sure thing that the Village Idiot will call me on Skype in the next couple of days, as his wife well knows, and carefully broach the subject of his mother-in-laws operation. He will dance around the core of the matter for a while then ask me if I think that one hundred and twenty thousand baht is an unreasonable sum to pay.

Iâ??ll sayâ?¦. â??It will be what ever amount it says on the hospital bill, Village Idiotâ?Â.

No, my pooch has big balls. He's emptied them into this birds poodle on a couple of occasions.

Seriously, I've lost all patience with this guy. When he's here we share a couple of bottles of beer one or two nights a week and his relationship is banned as a topic of conversation. He knows exactly what I think, cut his losses and get out.

He owns a house freehold in his country and his retirement income makes mine look like a Cambodian toilet cleaners, (If there's such a thing), so starting again would be a cinch.

Seems to me you'd like him gone. I know how infuriating it can be when a farang comes to town, then starts blowing cash left right and centre. It sticks in your craw, right? 'specially when your own budget is much tighter and more restricted.

You are like the man on the ground. Assimulating and in some fashion mimicking the people's assiduousness. You may not forage for frogs in thunderstorms - but come hell and high water you'll defend the right for someone else to do it! The very fact that a man might deign to eschew all that, and divide his time between abodes is unconscionable.

I would dare to say that you not only envy him (your dog fucking her dog; as if by some proxy); also your Cambodian effigy, but you probably despise him for all the very real dissapointments that you've experienced in life.

You make the call - but I would say he would be the happiest - by a points decision.

But why does it stick in your craw? Jealousy? He maintains two houses, each half the world away - indeed - why doesn't he just fuck off?

He must be a village idiot, eh?

Well the man does not live in my village, but he is the village idiot for sure.

Paying 120k for the (free) amphur hospital hey?

I see farangs in almost every Isaan village, this one included and they all have their farang village idiot(s).

What bothers me is every time the gf comes with a village idiot story she stands up to me proudly: showing "see how we Thai woman nail those idiot farangs" I rarely get upset, but this does it to me.

Panadol, seems to me there are a few things you don't grasp :alert:

Archived