Ooo, who, who

Ooo, who, who

Oh, yeah

I rode a tank

Held a generals rank

Original;

I rode a tank

in the German ranks

Interesting. Are you saying they changed the lyrics after the song was released? Because the official Stones site shows the "general's" lyric. Either way, the reference to Rommel is very clear.

"And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reached Bombay" -- I've never understood this reference. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,

SD

http://thorswheels.blogspot.com/

(No answer actually)

Let me please introduce myself

Iâ??m a man of wealth and taste

And I laid traps for troubadours

Who get killed before they reached Bombay

These lines are from the legendary Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the Devil. Strange are the ways of rock lyricists. Sometimes utterly pedantic lines become cult, like Deep Purple's "Smoke on the water, fire in the sky". At times it is a tad more philosophical â?? â??teenage wastelandâ? (from The Whoâ??s song Baba oâ?? Reilly) became a headbanging catchphrase some time in the seventies.

Coming back to The Rolling Stones, the song Sympathy for the Devil seemed strong in its logic till it came to this line â?? the killing of troubadours before they reached Bombay. I can hardly recall any troubadour coming to India through the Gateway of India. Unless if it is on a metaphysical level.

Troubadours are travelling musicians. Some defend the line saying troubadours refer to The Beatles. They became mystical in their song writing after coming to India, losing touch with reality and the commom man.

Now, as â??new age guruâ? Deepak Chopra would have us believe, The Beatles did a lot of LSD at Mahesh Yogiâ??s abode in India. Thanks, Deepak, for telling us that. Till now we knew that The Beatles got high only on gherkins.

So, did wide-mouth Mick mean the India trips did The Beatles in? Or did he simply mean The Beatles were killed because of the growing popularity of The Rolling Stones? Very difficult to say:

Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah

But whatâ??s confusing you

Is just the nature of my game

http://thorswheels.blogspot.com/

(No answer actually)

Let me please introduce myself

Iâ??m a man of wealth and taste

And I laid traps for troubadours

Who get killed before they reached Bombay

These lines are from the legendary Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the Devil. Strange are the ways of rock lyricists. Sometimes utterly pedantic lines become cult, like Deep Purple's "Smoke on the water, fire in the sky". At times it is a tad more philosophical â?? â??teenage wastelandâ? (from The Whoâ??s song Baba oâ?? Reilly) became a headbanging catchphrase some time in the seventies.

Coming back to The Rolling Stones, the song Sympathy for the Devil seemed strong in its logic till it came to this line â?? the killing of troubadours before they reached Bombay. I can hardly recall any troubadour coming to India through the Gateway of India. Unless if it is on a metaphysical level.

Troubadours are travelling musicians. Some defend the line saying troubadours refer to The Beatles. They became mystical in their song writing after coming to India, losing touch with reality and the commom man.

Now, as â??new age guruâ? Deepak Chopra would have us believe, The Beatles did a lot of LSD at Mahesh Yogiâ??s abode in India. Thanks, Deepak, for telling us that. Till now we knew that The Beatles got high only on gherkins.

So, did wide-mouth Mick mean the India trips did The Beatles in? Or did he simply mean The Beatles were killed because of the growing popularity of The Rolling Stones? Very difficult to say:

Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah

But whatâ??s confusing you

Is just the nature of my game

As a footnote:

Depak Chopra was, many years ago, my personal physician. This is long before he became famous. His specialty was Internal Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrine Diseases.

I only visited his medical practice when I wanted a medical note for work. When I needed a day off and wanted to use sick leave, I always made a visit with Dr. Chopra to obtain a note for my employer. I didn't need a note from doctor for my employer. Although I took few sick days off I always brought a note to work from doctor. I was not sick. One time, Dr. Chopra asked me what was wrong with me and I told him the truth. So he suggested an "Upper Respiratory Infection" - I guess that meant the common cold. He was a nice regular guy when I knew him. The spiritual stuff came later. Yes, he was from India originally, I think.

I still have one of his business/appointment cards from all those years ago.

Small world!

:wave:

Archived