Coup?

CTO

I'm flying in on Friday morning and no coup is going to stop me! :nono:

good luck!

I'm returning next week too....would you get everything quietened down by then for me MM...ta

These are good points. When this happens, they don't close the BG bars, gogo clubs or the massage parlors?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm flying in on Friday morning and no coup is going to stop me! :nono:

Don't worry. Interesting things in LoS always occur just after I leave. I'm going on a biz trip starting Sat AM. So look for the coup to be on Sunday LOL!

Cheers,

SD

Bangkok Post

27 Aug 2008

PM turns to military top brass for protection

The strategy adopted yesterday by Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to ward off the threat against his rule from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) was simple, but risky. The prime minister took the unexpected step of surrounding himself with the military top brass at the Supreme Command.

A military source revealed that Mr Samak phoned Supreme Commander Gen Boonsrang Niempradit around 8am after being told that PAD supporters would try to seize control of Government House and several ministries to pressure the prime minister and his cabinet to step down.

Gen Boonsrang was asked to arrange a meeting room for the cabinet at the Supreme Command at 9am. A room on the fourth four of the Supreme Command's main building was then vacated and re-arranged as a meeting place for the cabinet as requested.

[color:red]The prime minister's decision to stay inside the barracks came despite a strong rumour on Monday night that a military wing, led by First Army chief Lt-Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, was planning to stage a coup and overthrow the government.[/color]

Mr Samak asked both Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda and Lt-Gen Prayuth to be by his side all day yesterday and used the command centre as a base to deal with the PAD attacks against his administration, the source said.

Mr Samak took a big risk by putting his trust in Gen Anupong he would not be back-stabbed if he stayed inside the barracks which could have made him an easy target if the army had opted for a coup, an observer noted.

The prime minister, who is also the defence minister, rewarded them for the protection within hours yesterday by quickly approving the military reshuffle list.

The reshuffle list was discussed on the sixth floor of the building immediately after the cabinet meeting, which ended at 2pm. Normally, at least 30 minutes are spent on discussing the list, but this time the prime minister approved the list within 10 minutes without making any changes.

Mr Samak told the armed forces chiefs that he respected their decisions as he believed they knew their forces better than anybody else, according to Gen Boonsrang.

Many military leaders were themselves surprised at the quick end of the meeting, as it has taken days in previous years to finalise the list due to heavy internal lobbying.

Details were not unveiled after the meeting.

Earlier, Mr Samak reportedly planned to propose that Gen Anupong also hold the post of supreme commander as Mr Samak disagreed with Gen Boonsrang that his deputy Gen Montri Sangkhasap be nominated to succeed him.

But Gen Anupong refused to take up the post, reasoning that he would find the workload too heavy, and said many other senior officers were qualified for the job, another military source added.

The source said Gen Boonsrang would likely be succeeded by Gen Songkitti Chakkabat, chief-of-staff of the Supreme Command, instead of Gen Montri.

But pleasing the military leaders by leaving the list untouched was no guarantee that he would not face a coup. If the situation worsens, the army will be left with no choice and could take that very step to restore the stability of the country, another observer said.

So far, the police has shown amazing restraint it dealing with this. It is obvious that the PAD is trying to provoke them into doing something drastic and force the military to move in. Watching the Channel 9 news this morning showing video of the police moving into Government House at around 3:00AM, you could see the PAD people trying to get the police to take a swing at them, but the police didnâ??t react, maybe a bit of poking with the clubs to get them out of the way. Did anyone watch Samakâ??s news conference on NBT last night? You could tell he wanted nothing more then to move in and clean them out (Google Samak and 6 October 1976), but cooler heads [in the military, I suspect] are still in control.

Meanwhile, except for the area around Government House, everything seems to be normal in Bangkok this morning. Should be interesting to see what the SET does today. That could be a major factor in what happens this evening. A huge sell off, costing people a bunch of money could force the government to take a hard line and start knocking some heads, but right now it appears they are willing to wait this out. It seems to me that the PAD is rapidly losing a lot of support, and realizing that they are going for broke, but it is not going to work. Nobody wants shooting in the streets and that is what the PAD is going for. Hopefully their leadership will be able to control the radicals and stop them from doing something really stupid.

I think this will come to head this evening, now that the PAD has been given a deadline to move out of Government House. Hopefully they will all find nice face saving way to get out this.

Police back off from confrontation with protesters

At 6 am Wednesday, commando police pulled out of the Government House compound, backing off from confrontation with protesters there.

Protesters at the Makkhawan Rangsan bridge started moving to join the protesters inside Government House after the police forces left.

The Nation

I think it is a real pity that the country is in the hands of scum like Samak/Thaksin/Chalerm.

Thailand deserves much better.

People bitch about the PAD being nothing more than a "mob" that wants to overthrow a "democratically elected" government.

But seriously, look at these people? SAMAK? The evil, pig faced bastard. Thaksin? What can I say, murdering, thieving, arrogant farker!

Archived